great trip away

madmullet

Warning… pictures of dead animals

Weekend trip to collarenebri ( collie )

It all started with a txt from nick on Tuesday saying the boss is asking me to work for the 4 days, nick replies with I booked the days off weeks ago. Boss came back with; well either you work and keep your job, or go hunting and don’t come back. So he decided not to come. Also on Tuesday brad called me and said, nel (his wife) is very sick and it’s looking like I won’t be coming. Plan went ahead for dad and I as we did our shopping and got things ready for the trip away.

Wednesday was here, and the afternoon was fast approaching. Finally I got the call that I was not looking afford to. Yep it was confirmed, brad was staying back to look after nel. He said to me for the past 3 months I have been watching my calendar at work, crossing each day off and saying yeh yeh, collie trip is getting closer and closer. So it was down to me and dad, father and son bonding time.

With a loaded truck, dad and I set of from Logan around 11.30pm headed for the unknown of the hunting trip to unfold.

Day 1

We arrived into collie around 6.30am to a dry, dusty tableland. As we entered the gates and drove down the dirt track, so many roos were scattering in all directions. On arrival to the shack, we got greeted by the owners of the property and not seeing them for 2 years, had lots to talk about. Eventually we got onto the subject of game, and where they are holding atm. Well they said pigs are in big number, but hard to find as there is not direct food source for them and they are popping up it the most unusual places and at any time. Goat are about, but they are having their babies ( kids ) at the moment, they split up into smaller groups, so the big number won’t be around so you will need do a bit of searching to find the billies.

We hit the dirt tracks and while driving around, I spotted a small group of goats, glassed over the 30 odd consisting of ¾ nannies/kids and mixed sizes and ages with the bellies. After about a quarter of an hr of glassing, a Billy with an impressive rack ( horns ) walks from behind a bush, I put down the binoculars, got out of the car and picked up my .270 that was on the back seat, put the mag in and walked to the front of the can and used the bull bar as a rest. I chambered a round and put the cross hair on him just behind the left shoulder blade as he was quartering away from me, boom, the .270 loaded with 53grsin of powder and 130grain ballistic projectiles barks and milliseconds later I saw the Billy nearly fall to its knees, stumble about 15 odd yards and then collapse. I walked over to the Billy to claim my prize. It was a very impressive rack indeed. I got a few pics and then took my trophy. We carried on driving and get used to the property again. We called It quite just after 12 to go back to the hut and have a feed.

230, we were back out again and we decided to hit the north eastern side of the property for some pigs. Where we were planning on walking was on the edge of a freshly ploughed field, then the track, next to the track was around 80m of scrub, and on the northern side of the scrub was a fire clearing about 50m wide with a a boarder fence running down the centre of the fire clearing. Dad was to walk up the middle of the scrub and I was to walk the fence line. We started walking threw the scrub from west to east and as I came around the top of the dam I noticed a white figure to my left just behind a stock yard about 250m away, a raised my scope and saw approx 15-20 goats feeding in the shade. I glassed over them for 5 mins and noticed and black bill facing away from me. I started the stalk stopping every 5-8m and glassing to see if any of the goats were looking at me or not. I got to within 100m of them under a tree and could not advance any further as I would loose my cover a giveaway my position. I crouched under the tree because I couldn’t stand due to low hanging branches and leaves. I continued glassing over the mob and finally the Billy presented itself to me. I chambered a round and as I bullet popped out of the mag, it made a tinkle noise and a nanny turned and looked straight at me and gave of a warning bleat. All goats started to get ready to run, so I had no choice and in fear of loose the Billy to the thick scrub, I rushed the shot missing the Billy. I run out from cover ejected the spent cartridge and chambered another round, put the cross hairs on the goat and fired. I saw in the scope the goat kick out his hind legs and fall to the ground. I walked over to the Billy and noticed I had shot him entering the rear left flank and exiting threw the chest. I got a few photos and removed my trophy. We called it quite and retired back to the hut.

Day 2

Waking up to the alarm with a cold shiver, I got out of bed and turned on all lights, watered the grass outside and had breakfast. We were back on the track as the sky was turning a beautiful shade of pink and we planned to hit an old silk wheat paddock to chase some pigs. We arrived in just enough light to make out small dark figures scattered 500m ahead of us threw out the silk wheat. With our hearts nearly jumping out of our chest with excitement, we glassed over the dark figures in the wheat and noticed their wasn’t to much movement going on. We sat for another 20mins trying to work out what they were. We had no luck, so we started to stalk them, we got to about 200m and realized they were calf’s, we continued our walk through the wheat when to my left boom, boom boom, dad starts shooting at a small mob of pigs on the run. One was heading diagonally away from me, so I raised my rifle, gave it a 2 inch lead and fired. I heard a nice thump and saw the pig skid to a holt. It was a 30 odd kg sow, perfect for eating, so I dropped the guts out rite their and slug her over my back and took her back to the car and chucked it into the esky. We continued on walking and eventually we got to the edge on the wheat and about 30m in I saw a loan sow rooting around in some long grass. Once again, put that little pest to rest. The afternoon hunt we decided to chase some more goats so we set off to an area on the North West side of the property. We arrived in the one area and a heap of heap scattered and in amongst the sheep has 1 loan nanny about 190-200m away. I thought, this will go down as good tucker, so I waited for a clear shot…….. Boom, hit. We drove over to the nanny and sure enough where I put those x hairs I hit, rite in the back of the head. I quickly cut its throat and strung it up by its back legs to let it bleed out. We waited a few minutes, gutted and skinned the nanny and put it in the esky. We carried on down the path when a nice small Billy bolted from the track. I looked at dad and said, up him old boy. He got out of the car, chambered a round, boom, down goes the little Billy. We went over to him and when we rolled him over the first thing we noticed was its hair style. All I can say, no wonder he was an outcast. We took his horns as they we defiantly different looking. We carried on driving and shot a few more goats for the afternoon.

Day 3

Day 3 saw us walking a 5000ac paddock down the southern end of the property where there was a lot of rooting and wollows around. We walked for approx 2hrs and only seen the arse end of little pigs running away. So the call was made to change areas. As we were going to our next spot which was the eastern boundary, a nice Billy got up from the side of the track and bolted. It ran about 150m and stood behind a tree. I said to dad I haven’t got a clear shot, so if you do take in…..boom, down goes the Billy. Dad said all I could see was its neck, so I aimed for it. We drove over to the Billy and sure enough, through the top of the neck severing the spinal cord. We continued on driving and ran into the property owners leaning over the bonnet of the car with a handheld gps looking very puzzled indeed. They said do you know how to work this thing. They gave it to me and it was the exact same as mine. I replied, so what do you want done; we want to use this stringer hear and 4km that way (pointing to the north) there is another stringer that we want to run the dozer through to cut a path. I said ok so I mark the spot we were standing on and then drove around to the other side and put a mark on the other stringer. Came back to the other side and the wife said, look jump on the quad and we will ride 50-60m in front of the dozer to keep the straight line. Well off we went and the stopping and starting and going around tress, logs ect was playing havoc with the gps, every time we stopped, it got confused. We got to the end of the trees and came out on the road 280m to the east of where we wanted to be. I explained to them you have to keep moving for these to work accurately, so I will walk/jog in front of the dozer and we should be rite. Of we set again and after crashing through all sort of scrub and running through spider webs we came out 50cm from the stringer…. Success. Well they were over the moon and couldn’t thank me enough. After a long chin wag, they said, look, you are currently hunting on 20,00 ac, come with us, we will shoe you another part of the property you can hunt and it’s got invite access only. We drove for about 15min going into another part of the property that we hadn’t hunted before and the scrub gave way to this beautiful big dam with good overflow areas around it. We got out and had a poke around and what had looked like mortars had gone of everywhere, there was that much rooting up. They went on their way and we went for a quick walk to get to know the area and then decided we were going to hit the north eastern end of the property again. We arrived to the spot at around 4.30, so we had approx 1-1.5hrs left of light. We geared up and spread out. We had walked all of about 1.5-2km when dad and I spotted a mob of pigs about 150m ahead in some scrub, only problem was they spotted us at the same time. Dad couldn’t get a shot of. I waited till they had got to the fence to slow down that slight bit, and as the pig that I wanted came out the other side, boom, I saw the pig to a funny rear and lost balance for a quick second, so I know I hit it. Dad and I walked over to the area I had hit the pig and sure enough, there was blood on the ground. We followed the blood trail for about 50m and found the pig. I got him just behind the right shoulder blade and the billet exited just behind the laft shoulder blade taking out the end of the lungs. He was an est of around 60kg. by the time we took the photos and took its head, it was to dark to keep walking so we called it quites and went back to the cab.

Day 4 last morning

We decided to go to the dam first thing in the morning to see if we could ambush some pigs. We parked about 1.5km away from the dam and started the walk. We were walking into a head wind so everything was looking good. As we approached the dam, my heart started beating faster and faster. We crotched the top of the dam and looked out over a paddock of nothing. Ow well, we walked back to the car and decided to call it quits and started heading back to the dam. On our way back, we went past a small dam and on the edge of the dam drinking was a loan nanny about 200m away, so I said to the old boy, make your last shot count. He took aim…boom, down goes the nanny. We walked around the dam and to our surprise, there were 2 goats laying dead on the ground. I said, well you sure did make your last shot count, 2 goats with 1 bullet. We took a few photos and some meat and headed back to the hut to pack for our trip home.

post-8878-14459882253_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598822545_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598822554_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598822562_thumb.jpg

post-8878-14459882257_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598822578_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598822586_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598822593_thumb.jpg

post-8878-1445988226_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598822607_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144598822618_thumb.jpg

post-8878-14459882263_thumb.jpg

yes i keep it up to date i hate to not be able to go shooting as its been over 3 decades i've been hunting

Great report Kurt i haven't been shooting in years we used to chase the pigs and goats up in nth qld alot when i lived up there they were always plenty of fun hunting around for them

do you still have your gun lic mark

So it was down to me and dad, father and son boning time.

baaahahahahahahahahaha........sorry mate, i got as far as that typo and had to stop crying with laughter before i could read the rest!!

some great racks there.....looks like beautiful country too

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

arrrr, you got to love typos

Archived