Cajun Braid and Mono Leader

Nastymind

Andrew,

I used the bright red Cajun leader exclusively in Arnhem Land last December just to compare it to clear leaders used by the others fishing beside me. There was absolutely no detrimental effect even in shallow water. Most days the line with the red leader outfished others but I think that may have had something to do with having the right lures tied to it.

Also used the red leader on Awoonga last summer, again with no reduction in strike rates.

Have been using the red Cajun braid on tuna, mackerel, etc on the bay in clear water, no worries.

Have used the braid in the estuaries and in freshwater too. Again no problems at all.

One of these days when the water temp climbs a little I'll jump over the side with the waterproof camera and take some snaps of the red line at depth just to satisfy my own curiosity.

Post edited by: Schultzy, at: 2007/08/10 20:09

Michael,

Yep, can't complain about either the braid or the mono leader. The leader is hard mono, nice and tough. The braid is a quality, tight weave line. It lasts much better than fused/extruded lines.

I used one leader for two weeks in Arnhem Land, only trimming the very end occasionally when it became too scuffed by barra teeth.

If you have a close look at the photo on the home page you'll notice the red leader tied to the lure.

I used the 50lb in the NT but was down to 40lb in Awoonga. Would recommend either 50 or 60 if you are fishing around heavy timber in the lakes or if you are one of those who fishes with an extremely heavy drag setting.

Post edited by: Schultzy, at: 2007/08/10 20:22

Post edited by: Schultzy, at: 2007/08/10 20:24

Bit off topic but slightly relavent. Whilst at Hinze yesterday the water was very clear down to around 12 feet and i was playing around with lures and Sps using 10 lb flourocarbon leader on 6 lb grey fireline. You see the fireline quite plainly then nothing and the lure/ Sp swimming along around 6 feet behind the fireline.

I then dispensed with the leader and you could see the fireline all the way down to the lure.

The result of this is that I will always be using a leader in the future.

Ray

Archived