Halco changed the Crazy deeps!

Feral

Just been having a look at Mo Tackle to see what a couple of Crazy deeps for Awoonga will set me back.

Looks like they have changed them, they are only rated 7m plus now, instead of 8m plus.

crazydeep.jpg

Does not sound like much, but 3 foot is quite a bit when the fish are down deep at Awoonga!

Anyone know if anyone else makes a decent deep diving barra lure? (With an actual rated depth!)

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/08/10 19:05

Andrew,

Newly released on the market is the Predatek Hyper Viper. I fished the prototypes of these at Awoonga in January when the fish wouldn't come up above about 8m to hit a lure and couldn't keep the fish off them. They run at 9m on 30m of 50lb braid with a 2m 50lb mono leader.

This is the same Viper body of Tinaroo fame with a deep bib.

We slayed them at Awoonga on metalix chrome, Ghost Rider, Redhead and Daly River Gold in the deep runners.

They are so new they're not on their web site yet. I'll snap a few shots tomorrow and post them for you. (At work now:( )

Post edited by: Schultzy, at: 2007/08/10 20:10

I have a few rapala tdd11 deep tail dancers that are supposed to swim to 30 feet and they were kissing the bottom at Hinze in 30 ft of water but i was only using 6 lb braid.

I think that you would have to upgrade the hooks for barra use. They have a fauly wide action and should be able to handle the heavier hooks.

Ray

Andrew,

Here is the photo I promised. Both of these colours are good on Awoonga. I particularly like the Ghost Rider (top) in the deep diver. Have caught Murray cod on it too.

It is important to tow these from the nose ring for maximum depth. The Split ring & staple in the bib run the lure shallower with a slightly different action. Allows the lure to be used in rivers when you aren't after such great running depths. Virtually two lures for the price of one.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Hyper_Viper.jpg

Post edited by: Schultzy, at: 2007/08/11 10:44

post-108-14459842404_thumb.jpg

I have fished them with the split ring in place, it doesn't affect the action at all. The early prototypes I used didn't have the dual tow points, just the nose ring. I've been removing the split ring and tow plate from those in my tackle box just to eliminate the risk of the line catching on the ring during a prolonged fight with a giant barra.

Probably would never happen but I don't like giving Murphy any help.

Gezz thanks guys - now I get to go buy some more stuff.:pinch:

I have a few vipers already but if they are making a deeper one now I better get some before October.

Schultzy what do you know about down riggers in Awoonga. Last time I was there I was running the shallow vipers on the downrigger at about 45foot and didn't get a touch. Was that too deep? I didn't think too deep existed at Awoonga. To your knowledge has anyone had success with downriggers on Barra ine dams?

About the split rings - I love em and find them safe on the twisted leaders. Sure bets my fear of knots coming undone.

Gee Brian you've asked some toughies there,probably worth a new thread.

But to be very brief. When the lake stratifies the barra in open water tend to be concentrated on the thermocline. I've not yet seen it deeper than 9m on Awoonga. If your downrigged lures were running at 14m the barra would have been unlikely to dive to get them. They hunt looking upwards and prefer their prey to be above their eyes before they strike.

I've covered fishing thermoclines for barra in depth in an article in the current issue of Barra & Bass magazine. (#18)

Let me know if you'd like more detail and I will start a new thread.

A quick tip for you. Use the downrigger at the height of summer when the thermocline is deep. Set your rigger to have the lure running right in or very slightly above the thermocline.

Flat line a standard running depth lure (standard V150 Viper)on the other side of the boat in the early morning and at night to pick up the cruisers.

Archived