past kayak catches

James W

man everyone is teasing me now!! hbs this hbs that look at my fish caught on a hb... \"just a little tacker\"... i couldnt care!! i just want a fish on hbs!!! and getting a kyack and slow trolling looks so effective...

mate ive made up my mind to... im not getting a boat no more! :P im getting a kyack... first ill just buy the yack with padles and original gear then add things... first an electric motor then a grey scale sounder...

and im just saying this... my mind is as made up as my 80w set up!

troy

blue_mako wrote:

. first ill just buy the yack with padles and original gear then add things... first an electric motor then a grey scale sounder...

and im just saying this... my mind is as made up as my 80w set up!

troy

Kayaks must be a lot more stable, carry a lot more weight, and be lighter to carry than I remember.......

Hey feral,

The Yaks they are making now are designed a lot better than there old school couner parts.

Ash i where in a double with gear everywhere, two rods each and casting all the time and never came close to tipping. Not even when i jumped out in the middle of the creek to tango with my ray!!! :P

Point being there are even better kayaks available than even those.

What was fantastic was as James pointed out you see things you never would in a power boat. For exmaple we paddled right past a large eagle and at two stages in the trip there was a pod of dolphins right next to us.

Considering my favourite types of fishing are River, Estuary and Dam, i think a Kayak is a frikkin awesome investment.

Angus [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Ash_Angus-a248158c837b9d6338c3541e9d68bc80.JPG

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2006/08/08 08:30

I looked into getting a canoe a few years ago but i was like i cant transport it, but now my mates are getting there liceneses, i think that it might be a good idea. also i think sounders are a waste of time. when we were canoe fishing last easter we got plenty of fish with out using a sounder.

DAVE

I've paddled canoes, kayaks, waveskis, surfskis just about all my life. Great for fitness, and lots of fun. I wholeheartedly agree that you get to see so many thing sthat you'll never see, or hear in a power boat. The other thing is you'll get to places you'll never get in a power boat. Main reason canoes aren't as stable as kayaks is that the seat is much higher which puts your centre of gravity much higher. the other thing about a kayak is that, if you have skirt, you can cop a wave over the bow and you'll only get the top half of your body wet, and you'll be able to just carry on. I take mine across open river bars and around headlands no problem. In fact I troll for tailor in those areas. I guess having a pretty good understanding about surf conditions would help a lot. I've actually been rolled sideways by a wave and eskimo rolled back up again, and to my amazement, my rod was still in the rod holder...phew! $$$ Again, I am experienced at eskiom rolling so I wasn't conerned about being upside down for a few seconds.

Wind has more of an effect on your kayaking that current. The best idea is to plan your trip so that you go into the wind first, and have a tail wind coming home. In summer youo can even use the early morning southwester, then come home with the northeaster at your back.

The other way to cover long distance in a kayak is to sail. You can buy sails for about $400 - $500, or do as I do. I experimented last year with a golf umbrella....yep, a golf umbrella. Cost about $15 - $20, and performs sensationally. Just hold it with the shaft horizontal, pointing towards the bow. The ribs will rest each side of your kayak, and away you go. Last Monday arvo a friend and I paddled and fished into the southerly for 2 1/2 hrs, the turned for home, and didn't paddle a stroke all the way. Got back to the alunch spot in 1/2 hr, and spent half the time with dolphins fishing all around us. Not a sound other than the doplhins. Yummoh!....Having a foot operated rudder is essential if you want to sail. You can reach, and even tack (sort of)...depends how you hold the umbrella! hehe

I have a Rosco 18ft Expedition kayak. It has a mast holder which became my rod holder, and a waterproof glove compartment which holds all my lures etc. I've mounted a knife scabbard on the deck. It has lots of deck lines / shockcords, as well as heaps of storage.

Glass kayaks are generally faster to paddle than the plastic ones, but the plastic ones are more durable.

Phew...got carried away there....bit of a ramble, but hopefully of some use if you're thinking of going the kayak way.

Oh, and technique is so important in being able to paddle long distance without killing yourself.

Alby

yeh you should have started a new thread.

my kaqyak will come either friday or monday depending on if he will finally send me his bank details today..

instead of looking at past kayak catches... im looking at future kayak catches...

1.2m flattie, 20kg threadfin etc. etc. i can see it happening :P

troy

• 5 weeks later...

Howdy all

Since this thread deteriorated into general kayak fishing, I'll add in my two bob! I've been getting keen on acquiring a yak myself lately and I've been eyeing off this one from Goodtime:

/>http://www.goodtime.com.au/index.php?PCID=2214&PSO=85&PSID=cobrafishndive&PSV=Primary&CDO=0

I haven't actually checked it out in person yet nor have any idea of the price:(

These next two links are aussie yak fishing forums:

/>http://kfdu.com.au/forum/
/>http://www.akff.net/forum/

And the next is some international big game fishing reports, but if you dig through the archives you'll find some reports from some crazy guys who go way offshore chasing some serious size sharks from yaks!!!! Absolutely crazy...

/>http://www.extremecoast.com/

Cheers

Matt

ps - I wanna have my yak setup before next winter. I've seen too many pics of 3kg+ bass caught in Big W...

Looks like a good unit Matt.

I had a look at Viking kayaks the other day at Peppertown, Sandgate Rd, Virginia. They had a few other brands as well. There are some great set-ups. I'd just say have a really good look around before you buy. It's hard to work out exactly where you're going to use it because so much opens up once you actually have one and get some confidence.

I'm into the paddling side, so wouldn't buy an electric motor, but if you're not that keen on paddling there are some great outfits with motors. I saw one fully kitted. I think it was about $1300 plus $940 for the full electric motor setup with remote throttle control. My Rosco Expedition kayak cost $2400 back in 2000. It's a sensatinal craft (glass) and I wouldn't swap it. They're now about $3500+ I believe.

So to see a full fishing set-up for around $2000, it seemd like good value to me.

Alby

Hey Alby. Intersting about the figures, its in the rough ball park that I'd expect. I would like the capability to rig an electric, but most likely I'll just be paddling for a while. I figure an electric would be handy for that extra quiet approach and consistant speeds during long trolling sessions. Then I can be more occupied with things like checking out the sounder:)

I'll take your advice and look at a lot of models before I buy!

Id be very interested to see where this thread leads as i am also getting a kayak soon.

Werewolf check the reports monday as Alby, Jimmybob, Troy and myself are hitting up the passage or if bad weather Ningi creek on sat by Yak.

Should be good.

Angus.

P.S. Werewolf it would be sweet to get them out on Big W or Somerset! Or even teh stretch of Brissie in between.

Angus

In regards to the big bass from Wivenhoe comment i made earlier, scroll down this report about 2/3 of the way down to see some dude with two big bass each over 3kg! Very impressive! Neil Schultz often reports about big bass from Wivenhoe on his thread on Fishnet too.

/>http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1157279001/0

Cheers

Matt

Wow! They look interesting!

I think your rig needs to be versatile. A lot of the plastic, sit on kayaks look like they'd handle basic surf well. Especially coming in with the swell,...that is compared to mine. I've got lots of surf experience, so I cope. On a wave mine is either going straight with the wave or once you lose that line, it's breaching with no way of changing what it's doing. You've just got to ride it out... Mine is 18 ft long and really good into the wind, and in a small following sea up to about 1m. I've nosedived it heaps in deep water and it goes in up to about 3/4 metre in front of the paddler and then just pops back out. Not a good idea in shallow waterthough! hehe

General rule is the longer boat goes faster.... a bit like yachts.

I'd go for one of the longer variety. Shorter craft tend to waddle, but they're better on a wave. But then, if you're going to end up using and electric motor most of the time, how well the craft suits power is the probably an important consideration.

Alby

A canoe is not a bad option if you ALWAYS fish with a friend, but a quality canoe can be as expensive as two small sit on top kayaks, and the kayaks give both fishers a good freedom and you can't blame the other paddler when you end up in the drink lol. Nah, troy's right, today's kayaks are surprisingly stable, I've dropped my butt into mine like a drunk on many ocasions and never come close to going out the other side, unlike my 15ft canoe which I have flipped quite a few times (I say mine, but I mean Asho's :P as he bought it off me months ago) the moral to the story is, GET A BLOODY KAYAK, THEY ROCK! B)

There's a Viking shop at Chermside on Gympie Rd too. I've only driven past, but think they might be a bit more \"Into it\" than the Peppertown crew.

I agree with Troy re the canadian canoe, having owned both...... I had a 16ft canadian canoe some years ago. I guess the other thing to consider as well as stability is that you can't handle a 16ft canadian canoe on your own. To get any real speed out of the canadian you need two paddlers, and they're HEAVY. You'll be able to transport and handle the kayak on your own which gives you so much more independence. There's something special about heading off in your own craft fully equipped, that is like an extension of yourself...against the elements. It's a bit like riding a motor bike, or a surf ski....its' you and your craft, and you become very attached to it.

Get one!! ;)

Archived