Blakesley's Reports

MoparKevUk

So another great weekend away, as predicted the weather was top notch! ;)

Awesome people, Awesome time!

Fillet Builder's with the help of a few apprentices made the climb onto the island a bit easier;

post-4325-144598849274_thumb.jpg

Friday night saw a snap-tastic sunset with a bit of cloud adding to the ambience.

Tugger's tub;

post-4325-144598849253_thumb.jpg

My rod (didn't catch anything off the beach, but you have to be in it to win it, eh?);

post-4325-144598849261_thumb.jpg

Demarc's sinister rig;

post-4325-144598849266_thumb.jpg

The Fillet Inflatable Tender;

post-4325-14459884927_thumb.jpg

Friday night was a Blue Moon, it was very bright!

Sat morn 4am smartphone chorus saw us all up and raring to go! D'oh! The boats were high and dry!

Eventually got outside with not much doing;

Tug onto a beast;

post-4325-144598849281_thumb.jpg

Maybe not, eh?

post-4325-144598849286_thumb.jpg

Caught this Sweep(?) next to the Rock;

post-4325-144598849292_thumb.jpg

More to come;

A late report surfacing from a quick visit to the crew at Blakesleys!

Jumped on board with Fidsey, and camped the Friday night and fished offshore on the saturday.

Well after leaving ourself high and dry on saturday morning we successfully missed the morning snapper bite and finally managed to get out to the rock at a gentleman's 730am

We drifted around for a while picking up multiple rock cod, and a few nice bonito!

After getting sick of drifting we anchored up next to Mark to see if he could whisper a few fish our direction but it seemed they were all out of ear shot of his choice words!!

Decided to hit up the wave rider buoy and look for the dollys, i managed a dolly pretty soon up but then they went deep and we couldn't master them.

Was good to get one thought as it was a first going 55 cm fell for the humble pillly on a jig head!

So after the wave rider went quiet we decided to go back to the rock for one last floatline,, AND THEN WE SAW THE TUNA BUSTING UP

Motored on over to clearly see the tuna busting up against a rock ( in the group) and fids fired in a cast and straitght on!!!!!! for the next half hour it was tuna after tuna

Boy did those little fellah relieve abit of tension on the boat, with mackerel season fast approaching we set about filling our box of jelly bean tuna.

Tested out a few slugs, managed fish on 9 different slugs and two different plastics, did learn one thing, small toby lures dont catch tuna !!!!

once the school had gone down we spotted another school busting up against the rock, fires in the trust 3" zman streakz in white and hes onto something with a bit more curry than the tuna and after a good fight up come s anice little yellow tail kingie, now by no means does it have any size to it but on a 2500 reel they still pack a punch !!! we managed a fair few of these until the tuna move over to us and we started once again to fill the bait box!!!!!

was great to see small mac tuna being followed to the boat by kingies haha, i did leave one down there for a while but nothing happened, and i think im happy it didnt as i was on a 2-5 kg stick with a sing hook slug hanging out of its mouth god know what would have happened if i got hit big style haha

Some pics here

Cheer Fids for taking me out bud was a good trip pity the fish didn't show up in bigger numbers but as they say " there is always next time" was nice to know that one of the boats bought a fish home, moses perch aint bad eating!

enjoy the pictures!! :)

post-8891-144598849325_thumb.jpg

post-8891-144598849334_thumb.jpg

post-8891-14459884934_thumb.jpg

post-8891-144598849345_thumb.jpg

post-8891-144598849345_thumb.jpg

post-8891-144598849351_thumb.jpg

post-8891-144598849355_thumb.jpg

post-8891-144598849707_thumb.jpg

post-8891-144598849716_thumb.jpg

It was a great trip. I left redland bay ramp on friday and don't think I will leave from there again. Pretty poor ramp with rocks all over it and at low tide the trailer dropped off the end before it was fully in.

Great run over zigzagging the islands, very smooth considering how much wind was blowing. Arrived at Blakesleys to find the amber stuff flowing very freely. After setting the anchor and going for a swim the camp fire became my new best friend. After a fair few most people turned in ready for fishing the next day.

With a couple of ring ins deckies were shuffled and demarc jumped in my boat. Wind was blowing but wasn't kicking up the waves so we had a nice bar crossing and off to the bait spot. Lots of tuna and bonito floating turning the livies off but demarc scored a PB biggest fish and first bonito ever. Drifts at the rock were off slightly, a bit hard to hit lots of good spots so we dropped the anchor and set out a jelly bean tuna and one float rod. Not too much happening on the float rod but got a call from Callum saying there was something circling the big bait.

I look out and saw a big brown fin popping up so threw on the gimble and waited. Off the rod went but once I got hold of it the line went slack. Wound it in and found it had snapped a 6/0 circle on a wire rig. Started to retie a rig and demarc said look out the back, the bugger was coming up sniffing the back of the boat. Quickly tried to retie loosing valuable time, threw on a slab, set the rod in the gimble then dropped out the bait. With only about 3m of line out I knew the first run would be a good one. The shark moved up to the bait, looked it was gone so gave the line a tug and bang shes on and not happy about it. After a couple of minutes the shark started to wrap around the boat so I yelled out to release the anchor so we could chase him. After a a bit of mucking around and finding the camera didn't work we caught and released a very nice looking 5-6ft hammerhead shark. They look awesome close up.

Sorry about the poor pics, only thing we had was my phone.

post-9503-14459884972_thumb.jpg

post-9503-144598849735_thumb.jpg

post-9503-144598849746_thumb.jpg

After that we decided to have a look what it looked like outside for some dollies. Heading out slow I didn't know if it was worth copping the hammering. Luckily the wind dropped a bit and the ride got a bit smoother. Watching the temp I wasn't too sure what it would be like as it was 2.5'C colder than on Wednesday. After working hard I caught and released one but couldn't get another first for demarc.

Eventually called it quits and went back to the group. Pretty quiet still and with everyone heading back to camp called it for a nice run in. Found a longtail school feeding in the bay but unfortunately didn't have time to give it a go.

Great day and night and cant wait for wavebreak. I am going to try and get a leave pass for the whole weekend this time so see how it goes.

Cheers

BJ

awsome pics mate...the whale pic is sensational

cheers rosco

Mate! So gutted I didn't have me big camera! All the pics were on me Panasonic FH-2 compact, pick 'em up for about $130 nowadays....

The whale was cruising by the boat so got a couple of it just breaking the surface then half depressed the shutter locking the focus where i though it would be next and "boom!" out it comes and snap Gord Blimey!

Here's the pic without the cropping;

post-4325-144598849758_thumb.jpg

Here's the splash! (cropped)

post-4325-144598849769_thumb.jpg

Here's another (cropped) one about a minute later and further away;

post-4325-144598849773_thumb.jpg

Spectacular stuff, and well worth the trip! B)B)B)

Thanks everyone for a good weekend. Callum got some good shots their wouldn't mind getting them off you at some stage. Should have stayed the Saturday night looked like the weather played the game sunday. We fished pretty hard Saturday for not a lot of result (Don't think we were on our own). Good to see the tuna turned up and changed the out come of the day. See you on the next one.

Put the boat on at low tide at viccy point, what a disaster. boat was sitting on its belly at the pontoon, motor basically working through mud and rocks through the 40 meter radius of the ramp :angry::angry: . Struggled to drive it on. Must have looked like a real novice. Don't know how they'd go putting in the bigger rescue boats there.

Thanks for doing up a report callum. Gotta get you on board again. :) Had a ball.

Great photos there Kev and others. That whale was amazing - I was next to speechless (apart from all the f's ...........) for a minute or so. The noise it made when it belly-flopped the second time was unreal.

Great to finally fish with Mark and to meet you Kev as well as quite a few other new faces. Tried the bonito a couple of nights ago and wasn't too bad. Know what you mean about Vic Point Fids - I found the bottom once on the way back too in my tinny and then managed to bugger my phone (luckily only a $20 cheapie!!) when putting the boat at the trailer when I suddenly found myself stumbling over the bottom of the ramp.

Can't do Wavebreak unfortunately but hopefully see lots of you at the Flathead Social.

Here's some more pics most of the time we had glass outs on the bay which made for good photos from camp it was magic weather and you wouldnt have wanted to be anywhere else as you looked out over the bay from camp fantastic weekend with good company and now cant wait for the next social down at wavebreak island as these are the best weekends away by far in my opinion

post-4390-144598850177_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598850183_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598850189_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598850193_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598850197_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144598850202_thumb.jpg

Archived