Crabbing Etiquette Question

Gary_C

I have been trying a new landbased spot for the past couple of days and have seen a good mix of crabs, 90% bucks and about 25% of those have been legal.

I went to check and reset my pots today and went a bit further along the bank when I saw a pot that was half out of the water. It had a name tag on it so I left it alone, but a bit further on there were 2 pots completely out of the water(nothing in them except a couple of puffer fish and chicken frames).

I left them alone, but I was wondering if I should have picked them up and tossed them into the water for the guy so he would have had a better chance at picking up some crabs or did I do the right thing by just leaving them alone?

• 2 weeks later...
It is actually illegal to let your pots sit where they can dry out. i.e. exposed at low tide.

/>http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/documents/Fisheries_RecreationalFishing/Responsible-crabbing-in-Qld-DL-flyer.pdf

That's interesting, I didn't know they had to be completely covered at all times.

I often put mine up in the mangroves where they get exposed at low tide. I've always just made sure they were under cover so the crabs wouldn't get exposed to direct sun light.

I know of a few pro crabbers who do the same thing.

Archived