Goldrush Boats v. Crossxcountry

Rhet

Hi all

I'm doing my research for my next hull, and some time ago I came across Goldrush Boats. In particular I'm looking at their 4.5 Agressor.

Is anyone familiar with them, or this boat?

Information is limited as they have only been around a couple of years. I've made contact with them and hope to visit their premises in the next few weeks and wet test the hull mentioned.

For my next purchase, my ideal boat is in the 4.3 - 4.6 range, and in particular I'm after glass and preferably light weight. Hence the two options in the subject line.

I'm quite familiar with the crossxcountry and have their 4.3 as first preference or 4.75 if the budget will allow at the time of purchase. I realise 4.75 is larger than my preferred size but it's the reduction in weight compared to the comparable sized tinnie/normal glass boat that allows me to consider the larger size.

If any one has a crossxcountry or goldrush, feel free to PM me with any feedback, or if anyone knows of any other options that might fit the bill, I'm all ears.

I would be happy to know of other sports fishing type glass hulls in the size, but most I've found tend to start around the 4.8 and being chopped strand glass, they tend to be quite heavy.

Cheers, Rhet

Both both are on my shortlist of "dream" boats.

From looking at photos etc of both, it seems to me that the Agressor hull may give a softer ride. But then only a test of both hulls under similar conditions would give the answer!!

Good luck on your quest.

I looked at the cross countries a few months ago and steered away. I've got 2 mates that have owned cross countries (one of them still does). If you want a rough boat with poor worksmanship than go cross country. You gota be right on them with your boat or you'll get a rough boat!!! One of my mates actually cracked the seat and some of the hull while the other had to re-carpet the boat himself because of how rough they did it. I think cross country are more into pushing out a product fast rather than quality.

Interesting comments you make about the quality Dell, in that it is a similar admission I heard two weeks ago by a stakeholder who is now involved with crossxcountry.

It has only just been formally announced, but crossxcountry recently joined forces with another vacuum infusion method boat construction company, to form 'enlightened boats'.

It was a comment made by the interested party as a real concern (about the quality), so much so that there are strategies to be introduced into the manufacturing process in order to increase the quality of finish, not the build quality as I believe this is adequate.

Did your mates with the issues take the hulls back to crossxcountry? That is the first time I have heard of issues with cracking, and knowing a bit about composites, resin infused cloth doesn't tend to crack. It may delaminate which is primarily caused my moisture ingress, or receive impact damage but cracking is not a nominal defect. It may have in-fact been cracking/deformation of the gelcoat?

Anyway, I think you will find in the near future an improvement in the quality of the finish.

Thanks for the feedback.

Interesting comments you make about the quality Dell, in that it is a similar admission I heard two weeks ago by a stakeholder who is now involved with crossxcountry.

It has only just been formally announced, but crossxcountry recently joined forces with another vacuum infusion method boat construction company, to form 'enlightened boats'.

It was a comment made by the interested party as a real concern (about the quality), so much so that there are strategies to be introduced into the manufacturing process in order to increase the quality of finish, not the build quality as I believe this is adequate.

Did your mates with the issues take the hulls back to crossxcountry? That is the first time I have heard of issues with cracking, and knowing a bit about composites, resin infused cloth doesn't tend to crack. It may delaminate which is primarily caused my moisture ingress, or receive impact damage but cracking is not a nominal defect. It may have in-fact been cracking/deformation of the gelcoat?

Anyway, I think you will find in the near future an improvement in the quality of the finish.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hey mate,

The hull that did crack was taken back to cross country. I did boat building for a year and was definately not the gelcoat. My mate is good friends with Tyson so that was all fixed up anyway.

Why would you stay away from light glass boats? Your answer does not need to mention either of the make that I have asked about as you seem specific about 'light glass boats'.

You also specify that in your opinion that a plate boat would be far superior. Superior in what? Certainly not weight? I am awar ethat the heavier a boat, normally the better the ride. Everything is a tradeoff. Same as you can't have a boat to squeeze up skinny creeks chasing bass that will also take you 60 mile out off Fraser for 2 nights.

The 'terrible layout' is also quite specific to your own preference.......it might just be spot on for the next bloke. The layout on each boat can be customised extensively to the buyers needs and wants. Maybe you looked a boat that suited someone else?

Nothing wrong with a healthy conversation, I just wonder if you could qualify your remarks a little deeper as it will assist me in my research.

Cheers.

All I'm saying is I don't think they (cross country) are worth the money. Read what myself and others have said regarding quality of finish. What other things aren't up to scratch after a few years of ownership.?? I'm only offering advice which is what you asked for.

A light glass boat offers nothing over a light ally boat except a fair amount of money difference and also more maintenance and you also need to be much more carefull with it. Is there a specific reason why your wanting a glass boat? Umm assuming creeks ad bay work? Glass hulls can't run over gravel at ramps and etc like ally.

If you really need more info I'm happy to elaborate but it's not really necessary. I do t really know your level of boating knowledge so I do t want to offend if I've said things you already know. Just trying to help you make the best decision.

For the record I have no experience with the goldi boats. I have rode in a cross country and didn't like the finish, layout and ride ( yes I know u can change glass layouts.$$$)... Hence why I went ally.

Agreed, cost wise they certainly are dearer in comparison to a similar spec'd alloy hull.

I have inspected several crossxcountry hulls and haven't found the quality to be as negatively described as yourself and Dell have stated. I'm not saying they are top-end US bay boat quality, but in my opinion they don't deserve such strong critism as to what has been said in this thread. But hey, that's your opinion....

I believe these lighter hulls offer far greater stability than a light alloy of the same size, and they are certainly more buoyant.

Maintainance on a tinny I feel could actually be worse due to galvanic corrosion issues which aren't such an issue on glass.

Yes, you can't bash a glass boat around on a concrete ramp without expecting to get a few scratches and maybe gouge the flow coat, but I look after my gear and wouldn't buy a tinny just so can can feel ok about letting it run over some rocks. I'd be more concerned about the prop striking an object as opposed to the hull material.

I currently own a 4.8 alloy side console and just looking to downsize a tad to enable a bit more easier handling for me to get back on the trailer by myself. A good drive on trailer would go a long way to help me but I thought I may as well get a new boat to put on the trailer.

I'm not completely against alloy, and if I go alloy it will be a 4.4 - 4.6 plate, but it's really the weight reduction that I was chasing. And then that opens up another whole debate, which plate manufacturer to go with!

Its all good, the comments and feedback are valued.

I own a 7 month old 4.3 mtr crossxcountry and as others have mentioned i have had a few finish and fitting out issues that were not resolved.

I have just spoken to John the new owner of the company and he has been very very helpfull and is going to fix it all up for me so a big thumbs up to him.

I am sure the quality of finish is going to improve out of site under the new management.

And to answer your question about performance my 4.3 has a very soft/stable and super dry ride even on windy and choppy days and the fuel consumption is very economical for the outboard and also for the car towing it.

The layout of these boat is totaly up to the customer to decide as they are made to order.

post-1056-144598862495_thumb.jpg

post-1056-144598862505_thumb.jpg

Archived