Estuary GTs....what kind of lure would you pick?

beckenry

Hey guys, we are going to chase some small estuary GTs when the weather warms up. We are struggling to pick the lures, so can you guys plz give us some lights? We have never caught a GT before. Cheers.

We have deep divers, poppers, soft plastics ( jerk shad and paddle tails ), shimano waxing (baby size), metal slug...

I can confirm that the Rapala Skitter Pop is quite effective on GT's. Have caught quite a few up to about mid 30's.

Depending on the size of the GT's though, the trebeles on these lures are not up to handling anything with a bit of determination.

Cheers, Rhet

Just match the hatch as they say. If they are chasing up little prawns on the surface, fish a small walk the dog lure or drop a plastic of a similar size on their nose. If they are into herring etc use something similar.

They will eat anything if you find them busting up IMO, but being pelagic they are often their one minute and gone the next. We have caught them on all types of surface lures, plastics, bream sized HB's, they arent picky.

they love deka bokun blades! if you are trolling the canals find a lure that trolls between 4-6knts, they trevs react to a faster troll, if casting from bridges or land based the white glassy vibe from river2sea is a goto lure for a lot of the tweed trev, laser slugs in 10-20grams a good option for long cast and work at a decent retrieve . i use the barra magnum for trolling as well as micro mullets, berkley flicker shads , tilsans and reaction strike ac55, in the end a good natural herring colour or pilly colour , white or silvery colours work best for me.. good luck, where do you want to target them?

Wow...thx for the info guys.

Wes, we have some locations including Hervey bay, Mooloolaba, ballina and the spit in GC.... We have never caught one before so we really want to catch one to see what all the fuzz about (I know they are strong fighters) :) Thanks for your info mate.

The smaller shallow diving gold bombers are still dynamite on them, any crankbait or jerkbait worked hard with big ripps of the rod tip should get a reaction from them. If the are busting up have some fun with surface lures like poppers,bent style minnows and walk the dog type lures.

All lures will work mate but i rarely miss with the Squidgy Wrigglers in 100mm (bloodworm) fished off a 1/12 HD jighead. Estuary GT's are suckers for anything resembling prawns.

Cast out, let them sink to the bottom and give them a couple of quick violent flicks then wait for the hit. 99% It will be as its falling. Good luck mate.

Wes, we have some locations including Hervey bay, Mooloolaba, ballina and the spit in GC.... We have never caught one before so we really want to catch one to see what all the fuzz about (I know they are strong fighters) :) Thanks for your info mate.

you have some good areas there to target them, hervey holds some good trev action, all so noosa river has a great population of trevs, just thinking about the estuary has me thinking about chasing them tomorrow hmmmmmm new plan

I fish tweed all at night, and to be honest, nothing beats the tt switch blade in the 1/4. The white purple green colour is the best by far, when they bust, two hard hops and let it sink for about 10 second and two hard hops again until the lure gets back to you, the really aggressive vibration is what they love. even river 2 sea glassie vibes

you have some good areas there to target them, hervey holds some good trev action, all so noosa river has a great population of trevs, just thinking about the estuary has me thinking about chasing them tomorrow hmmmmmm new plan

hahaha...awesome! Let me know how you go tmr mate~! Good luck, tight line.

• 4 weeks later...
下次去试试你们俩的开一个å°æ—¶å’Œå››ä¸ªå°æ—¶çš„地方,一个å°æ—¶çš„是Mooloolabaå—?就在ç å¤´æœ€é å…¥æµ·å£çš„地方?urangan pierå·²ç»çŸ¥é“咋钓了,下次去试试飘气çƒå’Œæ²‰åº•ï¼Œè‚¯å®šæœ‰ä¸œè¥¿ï¼ŒçŽ°åœ¨å°±ç¼ºä¸ªå¤§é’©å­ï¼Œç»³å­æœ‰äº†ï¼Œå“ˆå“ˆã€‚我lure一盒å­ï¼Œä»Žæ¥æ²¡ä¸Šè¿‡å¤§çš„,ä¸è¿‡æ²¡å°çš„,都是50gmçš„popper,在urangan pier有用没?

There's ya info right there

下次去试试你们俩的开一个å°æ—¶å’Œå››ä¸ªå°æ—¶çš„地方,一个å°æ—¶çš„是Mooloolabaå—?就在ç å¤´æœ€é å…¥æµ·å£çš„地方?urangan pierå·²ç»çŸ¥é“咋钓了,下次去试试飘气çƒå’Œæ²‰åº•ï¼Œè‚¯å®šæœ‰ä¸œè¥¿ï¼ŒçŽ°åœ¨å°±ç¼ºä¸ªå¤§é’©å­ï¼Œç»³å­æœ‰äº†ï¼Œå“ˆå“ˆã€‚我lure一盒å­ï¼Œä»Žæ¥æ²¡ä¸Šè¿‡å¤§çš„,ä¸è¿‡æ²¡å°çš„,都是50gmçš„popper,在urangan pier有用没?

Thanks for your reply, however please take note that all posts are to be in English. :pinch:
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/site-rules

Excerpt =

post-564-14459887202_thumb.jpg

Thankyou :)

Thanks for your reply, however please take note that all posts are to be in English. :pinch:
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/site-rules

Excerpt =

[attachment=57095]Capture_2012-10-28.JPG[/attachment]

Thankyou :)

It is in English, if you use a 50gm popper at Urangan Pier or Mooloolaba you'll be in with a shot :blink:

下次一起去啊。

Would love to know what your edit says now .... :whistle:

Google translator has it as: "Go next"...

The original translates to : "Next to try both of you open one hour and four hours, an hour is Mooloolaba? Most rely on estuaries on the pier? urangan pier already know ye fishing next balloons to try and sink to the bottom, there must be something missing a big hook now have a rope, ha ha. I lure a box, never been on a big, but not small, are 50gm the popper, urangan pier useful not"?

下次一起去啊。

Would love to know what your edit says now .... :whistle:

Google translator has it as: "Go next"...

The original translates to : "Next to try both of you open one hour and four hours, an hour is Mooloolaba? Most rely on estuaries on the pier? urangan pier already know ye fishing next balloons to try and sink to the bottom, there must be something missing a big hook now have a rope, ha ha. I lure a box, never been on a big, but not small, are 50gm the popper, urangan pier useful not"?

Now if you can't catch a gt on a lure after reading that you might as well take up knitting , Are you reading this sari ?????

Any one notice the water conditions regarding canal trevs like clean water incoming tide vs dirty water out going tide ? I know up the sunny coast it seams to be a full tide ( clean water ) bite .

I have put the lures on test last time, got 2 bites that day. First one was on a Jackhall shad. It was a golden trev though, the other bite i got was skipping a 14g metal slug on the surface to make some splashes and noises, Hooked the fish up after 3 awesome surface bites, but the fish busted me off on the reef though.

The first fish was on the button of the tide, the second, which I would reckon it was a GT :), was on during the incoming tide. The water was clear that day, and over casted.

Archived