Quick Review - Daiwa Freams 2000

Morning guys n girlies,

I did a quick search across the board for any info regarding the Daiwa Freams and after finding nothing thought I'd piece a review together for anyone looking for a mid range bream\estuary or freshwater spin reel.

I've only owned mine for a week or so now and it was a touch choice, the. Freams or a stradic, both of which have had good reviews and suit my purpose to a tee, which is flicking by small sps.

After getting both reels from the cabinet and doing a side by side comparison on the same rod, a LOX 1-3kg 2 piece, here is my conclusion. In aesthetics, both reels really catch the eye of the keen fisho, although I think the Freams looks less blingy and more fishy lol. My only dislike was the grip, being a little too large for a reel of that size on the daiwa. But aesthetic aside, this is where the daiwa shines. I did try the shimano first and it just felt sloppy. The anti reverse was slow to engage, there was a lot of movement in the spool from side to side and it felt heavy for what it was. But I'm not reviewing the shimano which I know does have a small cult following... Sorry guys.

:

As soon as the freams hit the reel seat it felt great. Very light, definitely well matched to this particular rod, great balance. The daiwa felt solid beyond its small size, with an instant anti reverse and ultra smooth action bringing a feeling of superior workmanship. It's list of features really surpass the sub $200 price tag, having more than many high end reels I have owned. Bang for much? Tick. It does only sport a 4kg drag system but it's daiwas UTD system so amazingly smooth out of the box.

On the water and the good keeps coming. That oversize bail arm and roller worked a treat with light 2.5kg fireline exceed, with no knotting and a great line lay on the spool without washer adjustment. The light weight really shines with constant casting and you hardly know it's there, giving the impression of a more high end piece. After getting stuck into a few fish the drag system really shone, even when having to put the pressure on.

In the end for a small outlay you get a reel that will perform as well if not better than some high end gear and should provide years of enjoyment and reliability so long as its regularly serviced.

If your in the market, I would definitely recommend the Daiwa Freams 2000. Anyone wanting to give one a bash on a weekend can drop me a pm and I'm more than willing to lend ya mine for a while if I'm in the area.

Thanks for reading

Brad

They are not bad a little reel for the price, although I have found the drag to be a little sticky getting started which has resulted in pulled hooks. So it's probably not a bad idea to upgrade the drag washers. Other than that they are ok, but as far as a mid range reel goes, I still prefer my rareniums.

Archived