Roof Racks or Trailer? Moving the yak.

aboarch

Sorry guys, rookie question, but ill still ask anyway.

Just about to buy a new yak, but have no idea of how to transport it. Was looking at roof racks that has a yak attachment. But thought id ask first and see how all the pros move their yaks round? Any feedback would be great, and advice of where to get what i need. Cheers fellas!

What sort of yak are you buying? I, like JarrydA, transport mine upside down on the roof but lately after seeing Batman's trailer setup I've had a hankering for a trailer. If the yak you are purchasing is only light then roof racks are the go but if the yak is heavy or you can see yourself car pooling with a mate or two when heading to a spot then go the trailer, so much better for multiple and heavy yaks.

Depends on your budget and storage options.

I keep my yak of choice on the racks on my trailer, takes me 30 seconds to load up and head off when I want to go for a paddle.

Not really an option if you dont have a trailer or somewhere safe to store it with the yak on board though!

Soft racks are good for smaller yaks, or for cars you dont care about. Never really seen them used for a big yak before, I saw a set on an old falcon at the Brisbane Kayak club outing at Pinkenba the other day. Now this old girl was used specifically to cart the yak, bloke (sorry cant remember your name) said he even just pushed the yak up the boot on to the roof. Plenty of rub marks etc. But the warning for a big yak on soft racks? His roof curved the wrong way under the yak. Yep she was "popped" down, not something you would want to have happen on your $40,000 car! Also the salt dripping can be a bit of a heart ache for a good car as well......

I've got a few shots of various yak transport setups from that day, I'm sure the boys wouldn't mind me putting them up to show you various options that get used. I'll stick up some shots of the way I transport my various yaks as well.

First three are my various yaks in various combo's depending on how many I was taking out.

post-11051-144598870122_thumb.jpg

post-11051-14459887013_thumb.jpg

post-11051-144598870135_thumb.jpg

These are the ones from the recent the club day.

post-11051-144598870141_thumb.jpg

post-11051-144598870147_thumb.jpg

post-11051-144598870151_thumb.jpg

post-11051-144598870156_thumb.jpg

Hope the missus didn't spot that! ;)

This is the one and only time I soft racked on my missus car - I had written off my tow vehicle and had nothing in the yard with a tow bar and desperate to have a yak.

Was worth the ear bashing about the sand, salt water and strap marks ;)

post-11051-144598870161_thumb.jpg

Im looking at a tarpon 120 or a Mantra noa or something similar. It would be on top of a ford courier space cab/canopy...So im pretty sure those yaks arent the heaviest, and fairly sure the courier can take soft racks, but would probly prefer hard racks. Just been trying to look around for something at a decent price, does anyone know a guy? if not ill just have to go with autobarn or something like that. Honestly guys, great help and alot of info, cant express how much I appreciate the help.

Hope the missus didn't spot that! ;)
Yeah she did but she hasn't spotted the roof yet....... :pinch:

Aboarch if you've got a courier wouldn't the easiest solution be to use the standard bar at the front of the tray and get a bar for the rear? Should be able to pick something up at a wreckers cheap and you're sorted :cheer:

Edit- just saw you have a canopy, scratch that idea :blush:

I was thinking that, but thought that the canopy would have to be off to do that? unless im mistaken? I have to try and fit all my camping gear in the canopy when we go camping, so was trying to find a decent way of transporting without taking the canopy off...any suggestions are welcome! thankyou

I've seen plenty of utes with canopy fitted and the roof racks have been attached by drilling bolt holes through the canopy. Just make certain that the canopy can handle the weight and use a reinforcing plate on the underside of the canopy.

Basically same install as Surfingant.

I am in the process of converting to trailer due to 2 reasons.

1 Selling the hilux.So woulkd have to purchase set of racks for new car and not too keen about salt dripping on to new car.

2 Too difficult for old fart to load yak in the wind onto racks.

I picked up an old bike trailer at the local tip for $30 bucks that just needs a pair of mudguards ( Scored a pair free from another forum).

Strangley enough the new trailer has the same chassis number as my existing boat trailers. :blush:

Cheers

Ray

• 3 weeks later...

Mate I have a Colorado with a canopy and even with the Whisbar HD roof racks my current kayak (Malibu Mini-X) just touches the canopy. I purchased kayak holders which work a treat and make the whole setup more secure. I thoroughly recommend the Whisbar HD racks (very quiet when there is nothing on them and tough as nails).

You can stop the kayak from touching the canopy by wrapping the back rack in a layer of foam.

Archived