Fridges

bennyl

Mate I did the figures a couple of years ago and spoke to people about their thoughts and ideas too. I basically deduced that you will buy whatever fridge your Dad owned, its a bit Ford versus Holden.

I only looked at Engel and Waeco and came away with a 60L Waeco for 2 reasons being $350 cheaper, and also provided an extra years warranty on the compressor.

Have had it out and about and its done 12000km of bumpy stuff and going strong.

Get a back though for whatever fridge you go with as it saves bumps and bruises on the fridge and also provides really good insulating properties.

I own both an Engel and a waeco.

Both have been very good fridges over the significant time i have owned them

The engel is definatelly the better quality fridge.

In fact mine has been running since 2000 almost non stop.

When its not being used as a camping fridge it is used here at home full time in my bar.

I do think the key o longevity of these types of fridges is not storing them away for significant periods of time without using them.

Richard.

Engels and waeco's are good but you do have to look after them. We used to have these awesome ones in one of the vehicles in the Army that were pretty bulletproof. Uses to get covered in dirt, mud, pressure cleaned, treated horribly and would keep going. The insulation was also 10-15cm so it worked very very well. Didnt look as good as the engel but it worked and worked well. Think they were from a company on the gold coast. I hope to have a name for you tomorrow.

Mate I've had a 40 litre ARB (old style- Engel) for quite a few years now, it has never missed a beat while out camping or just carrying my lunch to work. It now runs continuesly with a few bits and pieces in it that we don't have room for in the main fridge. Mine is either a fridge or a freezer but based on how reliable it's been if I was looking for a combo unit that does both at once then it would be an Engel.

Guess what booty you just gave me the name I was looking for

/>http://www.norcoast.com.au/

We belted the high hell out of these things and they kept going.125mm of insulation, 2mm ally case.

Bit pricey but just have a read about them. You may be able to get a kit and make box yourself as well. You can do that with danfoss/waeco as well

yep i have had experience with fridges with out going into to much detail this is what ive found out.

weaco and engel, trail bazers all good fridge freezers eah have there ups n downs.

weaco 12v great bit heavy on the battery draw.plastic outer body when put into the bag doesnt sweet and create condensation between the fridge and the bag.the bigger models are fan forced and really suck it.

weaco three way are really poor chill on the 12v its a bar elemant that frosts up quick or should i say it attracts moisture/condensation doesnt always frost up in side the fridge and opening closing it melts the frost and contents in the fridge gets wet ,things wraped in paper like ham from the deli the paper goes all wet a soggy. chees even wraped in glad wrap absorbs the moisture and still goes that white discoulered look..... BUT put this little sucker on gas and shes a ripper,a 9kg gas bottle will last 9days full boar very cold on gas and a constant smell of gas is present at all times in the camp site so cant have em in the tent anex area.

Engel are good very responsive chill time will 100% freeze any thing.Great climate control,my missus absolutly loves the engel its the only fridge that we have owned that an opened bottle of wine with the cork stuck back in it standing up fits(only in the 40lt range and up the smaller models you wont stand a 2lt coke up right in them).The older one didnt have a light newer models have a light in them which i hated at first cause it stays on the whole time evenwhen lid shut and all i could think about was the extra amp draw from the light(its seriously bugger all extra draw) this how eva has a benifit as the night goes on and drinks freely pour latches are forgotton to be done up and when the latch isnt done up the lid is ajar and you can see the light glow reminding me to do the latch up. They are very durable metal body and have a nice bag.if used in the bag in humid weather the metal body of the fridge creates/attracts condensation and between the bag and the body of the fridge can get wet and if used in the back of a wagon 4wd a musty damp smell can occur.to eliminate this problem open the bags zipper to let it air out, rust can occurr on the seem of the metal body if the bag stays damp for long periods of time.

if i was to buy another portable fridge it will be another engel or maybe a national luna

My first compressor fridge was a 39l engel that I bought second hand 10 years ago and sold it this year for the same price I paid!! Couldn't kill it with a stick.

Along the way I had an 80L Waeco that I named Julia as it was power hungry and not particularly efficient. As Mick said, it sweated in the bag. In hindsight, selling a fridge with an insulated bag is an admission that the fridge is underinsulated.

I now have an Evakool 60L, fibreglass body, danfos compressor. Well insulated locally made fridge. Personally I'd rate it above my earlier model engel, and streets ahead of the Waeco.

I also have a 40L Autofridge made by Quirks in Sydney. It works on the eutectic principle. The danfos compressor freezes down a wall of ice, and then you turn it off and the wall of ice keeps the contents cold for the next 12 hours. I use it as a beer fridge and running it for 2hrs morning and 2hrs evening keeps the beers icy for a total battery consumption of 12AH per day. Downside is the price is rediculous unless you can find one second hand.

Archived