Weekend Yak Trip.. But where?

brandan1034

i would be up for a yak in the goldy canals or something like that

I've never fished any of the Gold Coast canals in a kayak, always done it out of a boat so I'd be keen, but I wouldn't know which 1's to hit up as its been a very very long time.

All the canals there hold fish, just gotta work hard and get the casts in there haha

A very quick report on how the trip went.

I decided to hit up the Runaway Bay canals. It was incredibly windy, I think the calmest it got all day was a light 30knot breeze. Despite that I managed a heap of hits, dropped quite a few fish and landed 2 bream. Nothing massive but enough to get me a bit of that fishing fix. There was heaps of bait on the sounder in the deeper parts of the canal and lots of bigger fish hanging off the sides but I couldn't pull anything off them unfortunately

A very quick report on how the trip went.

I decided to hit up the Runaway Bay canals. It was incredibly windy, I think the calmest it got all day was a light 30knot breeze. Despite that I managed a heap of hits, dropped quite a few fish and landed 2 bream. Nothing massive but enough to get me a bit of that fishing fix. There was heaps of bait on the sounder in the deeper parts of the canal and lots of bigger fish hanging off the sides but I couldn't pull anything off them unfortunately

Nice work, what was you using in terms of lures or soft plastics.

thanks

I was using 50mm bream aqua prawns and 4" powerbait minnows. I was using 1/32 and 1/60 hidden weight TT heads.
In that wind your lure most likely wasn't getting anywhere near the bottom with such a light weight on, try upping the weight next time to give yourself a better chance at those fish hanging off the sides of the baitballs.

I was using 50mm bream aqua prawns and 4" powerbait minnows. I was using 1/32 and 1/60 hidden weight TT heads.
In that wind your lure most likely wasn't getting anywhere near the bottom with such a light weight on, try upping the weight next time to give yourself a better chance at those fish hanging off the sides of the baitballs.

iv'e found thru the whole tinnie creek system that 1/8 and 1/4oz are the best, gets the lure down onto the bottom and puffing up sand ect, however towards the mouth when the tide is running hard upgrade to 1/2oz to get down into the strike zone. up the top of the creek try the "snakehead" tt's weedless or simalar to get down into the hole's, gutters ect if you have a sounder take with you it will be surprise how deep some of them are. good luck hope it helps ezy

Archived