Camera like device next to roads

Terry H

Over the last couple of days, I've noticed some camera like devices near the RBH. I was wondering if anyone knew what these were? They look like a big solid metal box with a camera like device on top. There's also one with the metal box, but the camera like device is on a small pole.

Anyone know what they are?

Nan i doubt they'd book u if u're 1-5km/h over.

Back in Singapore, the unmaned cams usually give an extra 10km/h allowance. Tat's coz if u were to factor in different makes of cars and bikes, all of them do not measure speeds identically. 100km/h on a toyota would be 105km/h on a honda and 95km/h on a harley and it goes on and on and on..

Well tat's jus my thoughts on it. Play safe, buy a GPS NOW! haha..

TerryH wrote:

When's that Joel?

I know that as soon as the tunnel talk started, there was a flurry of action to try and have the law brought into line with the Southern states which would mean that all through the tunnels they could put bloody sneaky cameras everywhere that would be fully automated (currently illegal in QLD.) I haven't heard where it is at in relation to how far the bill got through, but I'm fairly sure it hasn't been passed yet.

And it's interesting that they wanted that law changed, yet they were quite happy to keep the laws the same when it came to camera placement. In NSW you cannot have a camera shooting from any closer that 500M from the base of a hill, but QLD they stick them right at the bottom of hills. Revenue? :whistle:

TerryH wrote:

is it even 1km/h ?

And no, I would say like viperon said, that they would be the same as the current cameras, in that have a 10% buffer above the limit.

Joel ;)

Dunno if anyone else has noticed, but all of a sudden these \"Police Cameras/Radar Operate In this Area\" type signs have also been cropping up around our fair city. Uncommonly decent of the boys in blue to warn us...perhaps another sign (no pun intended :whistle:) of things to come?

The Police Minister has stated on the TV that there is no allowance, 1k over and you will get booked, Australian standard for use of speed camera's states 10% leeway must be given.

As far as I am aware the police ministers policy has not been tested in court against the Australian standard. Nor do I know if Qld Transport are following his policy (Yes Qld Transport are responsible for speed camera's even though police man them).

The cameras are likely to be CCTV camera's Terry, they are everywhere these days. It would be a total waste of money to install speed cameras there, unless it was 3am, the traffic is always that heavy that you cant physically exceed the speed limit.

Mind you Qld Transport still insist on regularly having mobile speed camera on the Bruce Highway at Mango Hill in peak hour, where the traffic is lucky to be doing 80kph in the 100 zone most days.

We cant wait for the cameras to be allowed to be used in Roadworks, currently we have to hire police to use Radar guns in our roadworks, but they wont give them more than 1 ticket book each to use, so thats 20 tickets per policeman, usually gone in an hour or two, even when they set the threshold at 30kph over the limit!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/08/31 05:05

Cliffy: I find those areas are the spots where there are no speed cameras.

Feral: I doubt they are CCTV cameras, a CCTV camera would be much better placed on a tall pole and only have one in a given area.

These boxes have 3-4 or so around the same intersection.

Feral: I'm sure you would have seen them if you've been to work via Lutwyche Road.

Who knows.

Edit: OD: It's not about safe driving or enforcing any regulations. I was just curious as to what gets enforced and what these devices are.

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2007/08/31 09:58

when have i ever been serious terry :D ... my post is just triggered nothing to do with this actualy thread mate, more so just in general when people complain about speed cameras etc

More so it comes from a friend who received 6 fines all within 2 weeks after a new speed camera was installed in a tunnel in melbourne....he had already lost his motor cycle license by the time the 3rd one came......3 more then followed in the next week hehehe 1 for every day to work.

he bitched and bitched how he wasnt warned etc that one was there lol

For interest I had an ex QLD police officer tell me once that all QLD cameras are set at 11 km/hr over, but I certaintly wouldn't take that as gospel. :silly:

My own view is if you are speeding, be prepared for consequences. I got done for speeding once and the only one to blame was me:unsure:. The police just do their job.

bootyinblue wrote:

You know there is one way to not have to worry about all these speed cameras and radar devices....... Dont speed!

Enough said,

Dont go telling them that Booty, if it wasn't for all these blokes paying this \"voluntary taxation\" my compulsory taxes would be heaps higher :evil:

terry i go dwon that road about half a dozen times a day for work, i havnt seen them but in the 3 months that ive been doing my job ive seen about a dozen serious accidents on that road. maybe the cameras are there to catch on camera the accidents so they can see whats causing them all?

Well, I would have taken a photo... but the devices are gone.

I'm not even sure if they were a camera, but the little device on top of the box sort of had that camera style design to it.

You can see my crude paint drawing of it. Those things sat on the curb or centre median strip of the road. On the two areas I saw them there was 3-4 of them, each facin ga differnet direction. [img size=371]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/deviceonroad.jpg

MMmmmmm ok, time to weigh in here.

I suspect they were some type of traffic monitoring device. Is there major roadworks planned for the area or intersection? They could be counting car movements during certain hours, or monitoring speed of traffic flow. Perhaps they were looking at car movements, as I know there was a study recently done on a section of road whereby car regos were written down at different points along the loooong road and then fed into a computer to be crunched. What it told them apart from who drove the entire length of the road I have no idea, but I am sure it was a government sponsored study that just had to be done.

But I can pretty safely say they are not speed cameras, and definatly not red light ones as those are hard wired into sensors embedded in the roadway.

As for speeding and tolerances, if you dont speed then you dont have to worry about allowances and tolerances.

(Now climbs down from box)

Thanks Booty.

Those devices were at the end of Stafford Road (gympie road end)

Last I heard, there was one end of a tunnel suppose to be coming out near there.

As for the hospital, no idea.

But it all sounds reasonable. Thanks again

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2007/09/02 15:04

Terry, I used to be in the real estate game and can advise that as far back as June 2005 they were talking about the tunnel having an entrance/exit in Bowen Hills somewhere around the hospital (logically Bowen Bridge Rd, I guess)...seem to recall it kicked up a whole heap of ruckus from the RBH themselves as they were worried about increased noise levels. Hope this helps!

ok, here's my two cents.. hopefully enough value to really lay this to rest.

I work on brookes st, bowen hills and I drive around this area almost every day of the week. I have seen the little pressed steel boxes with the cameras in them, so I know what you're talking about.

They're definately not speed/red light cameras due to the position and angles they've been placed at.

They are however, as some people have guessed, traffic monitoring devices. I assume they are trying to get accurate pre-tunnel data on the major roads where the exit/entry will be feeding.

If you don't believe me, I saw guys in a traffic monitoring services ute setting these boxes up and moving them around the other day ;)

ohh, and i think the 10% lee-way(?) for the speed cameras is not true. As some people have said, that would mean 5k's at 50 but 10 k's at 100... which doesn't seem quite right does it? When I got my speeding ticket, the cops told me that it was a buffer of a few of km's. This sounds more realistic, having a 2-3km buffer over the whole range as opposed to a relation 10% buffer.

here's a tip for the young(er than me) fellas - if you buy a really old car, or you're driving your mates xu1 torana for the day.. make sure the speedo is in Km's not Miles.... bugger. :blush:

Post edited by: AlsHilux, at: 2007/09/02 18:28

Archived