Just another 25 bass

Tim a

Hey guys,

theres been alot of questions lately about how to catch bass at NPD so I'll go through step by step what I did to score mine today.

I got to the dam around midday and started walking from an undisclosed location. I wasn't 100% sure where I was going as I was looking for new spots. I had a report from earlier in the week that the water was dirty so I decided to use a lure that focused more and vibration and noise rather than visual aspects. So I started out with a TN70 Jackall in Bluegill colour on my Pixy and 4\" minnow on my sol.

I finally got to a place that looked suitable for fish around 1:30 pm. I was fishing for around 2 hours walking the banks of a place I'd never seen before without a single hit so after changing lures constantly I decided to head back to the spot I got a few last weekend. I got there around 4 pm. Using the tn70 again I finally got my first bass of the day. The fishing was sporadic with schools coming through every few minutes. I was using my 4\" minnow on 2lb braid when the most amazing thing happened. I was fishing a very deep area and I had been talking about catching a cod all weekend. So I was casting out and just bouncing the sp back when caboom! geez this is fricking heavy I thought. I hooked it close to my feet and it didn't even know it was hooked. it came up to the surface and I saw it, my words were literally WTF!? it was over a metre long, and didn't know that it was hooked. it just start shaking its head and splashing on the surface. I knew I wasn't gonna land it and knew it wouldn't be long before it would effortlessly swim away taking all my 2lb with it so I decided to try get my camera out. Just as I got it out the lure came flying at me. I was soo so cut but was happy just to see it. it took about 20mins for the heart rate to lower back down to a safe level I can assure you!

I got about 10 bass in about an hour and after 5pm around dusk every started to bite.

I didn't wanna loose my jackall so I was using sp's. they were working better anyway. there is a steep ledge about 5 metres off the bank. all the fish I have caught at this spot hang just off it. So my tactic was to cast out as far as I could, let the lure hit the bottom, bring it back slowly with the occasional twitch. naturally, the lure came up in the water column so when I think the lure is coming near the ledge I let it sink back to the bottom, frequently getting smashed on the drop. if I didn't have a fish on the drop I'd slowly wind up the ledge and be assured a fish.

I left at 5:30 whilst the fish were still biting.

Lures used :

Jackall TN70

Berkley PowerMinnow 4\"

Ecogear grass minnow

Atomic paddle tails

1/2 TT vortex spinner baits

gulp 3\" minnow in boji blue.

Jigheads:

1/4 Dam Deep Berkley jigheads

this awsome looking skirted jighead that I don't know the name of, it was a daiwa from memory.

hope this helps!

tim [img size=455]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Bass_bluegilljackall.JPG

post-96-144598426369_thumb.jpg

Archived