Bullrouts

Keen-as-fisho

Just wondering who has had the privilege of standing on a Bullrout and what was the result? Last night I was practicing my unco fly casting ability in the upper O'Connell river on some Tarpon (hooked 4 but dropped them :( ) anyway forgot my shoes and thought bugger it I'm fishing regardless. Because the light was fading I couldn't quite see where I was standing and the tarpon boiling weren't helping, long story short, I stood on something. I got up during the night with a swollen toe and throbbing pain, took some panadols (not that they do much) and went back to sleep. Woke up early this morning and the swelling was gone however the pain was still in effect and is still lingering now, there appears to be a very small puncture wound as well. I'm just wondering if it might have been a Bullrout I stood on? The only other thing I can think of is maybe a bit of debris from a thorny plant of some sort.

Either way I'll be remembering my shoes tonight for my next assault, that's if this storm buggers off quickly.

Yea Den, if it was a bullrout you would have been doubled over in pain and probably throwing up from it. Not that I dont think you are a tough nut, but a friend I saw stand on one it brought him to his knees literally.

Sounds more like a stinging thorn type thing, if you got inflamation and then it subsided and now just a dull pain. Just keep an eye on it for redness and infection.

Definitely not a bullrout mate. They are there offcourse however the pain you have described would not come anywhere close. My uncle is a big man, probably about 150kg and he has been done by one. He said it is the most excruciating pain he had ever experienced in his life and he can take a lot let me tell ya. He has lost half a finger in a tractor door and the pain of that was nothing on the routy. You might have stood on a gold-lined spine foot happy moment or ever a small catfish.

But if it was a routy you would have known it mate

thats not good mate!

ive been done heaps of time by bullrouts. the pain from a bullrout around an inch long is more like an on going beesting, it feels hot internaly not really to touch and they do throb.the pain will last for day or two man up get over it :P:lol:

a bullrout 10 cm long really lets you know your alive it is instant stinging followed by a hot sensation in the localised area, pain last for up to a week.probly equivilent to say a 100 bee stings at once. really tight skin lots of swelling lots of redness in the local area.

a bullrout bigger than 15cm is THE WORST PAIN!!! i got done by 5 spines over three finger not seeing it at all i thought it was actaully a rock and continued castnetting i accatently grabed it.It is like a RED HOT iron poker being poked up your veins. with in about 20 mins the heart starts going wid and started fribulating really crazy. A more mild version of the pain travels through out the body and the neck area was the worst.wesfish was with me and it seriously was that bad i asked him if it come to the crunch would he be able to cut the hand to relieve the pressure/pain.The answer was"if you can stay consious than yes"so we stayed out fishing i think we did alright too from memory. :lol::lol: (but i did not cry) :lol::lol:

Any way the fingers toes being the outer most extremities of the body hurts the most. i got done on the leg once by a decant size bollrout didnt hurt any where mear as bad as the foot or hand.

The toxin is protien based,similar to that of an egg white so if you add heat it will set the toxin stop it from working. The pain can be that bad you can easily use boiling water and stick ya foot in it but all you will do is cook your foot :sick:.you have to use very hot water as hot as you can with stand it for as long as you can with stand it,and you will set the toxin.it works i can tell you!!! and it is never to late to do it.

Where the bullrout gets you will give you an internal pain during the colder months as well.

Yep, definitely not a bullrout. I got stung by one on my hand when I was a kid down at Brunswick Heads. It really was the most excruciating pain I've ever experienced.

I had to put my hand in water that was so hot it started to burn my hand. And this was just to help relieve the pain. I reckon I was in pain for about 8hrs from the little sucker.

I have had numerous spikes from the black and white GT catfish and they are as bad,if not worse than a Bullrout or Fortescue.

Sounds more like a small puncture from a piece of shell or coral maybe or some debris in the water.

I have watched many deck hands get spiked from Bullrouts and most times they deny it at first but then you see the beads of sweat start rolling off their forehead,lol

We legally carried some pretty hefty pain killers on our boats but nothing helped with bullrouts.

Archived