Track files needed for crossing South Passage Bar

Dean.Dudley

I have decided to venture further afield and plan to cross the South Passage Bar and chase some fish outside the Bay. I have watched some bar crossing videos and have a sufficiently capable boat but would appreciate it if someone could send me a track file or files from their GPS indicating the tracks they have taken to cross the Bar.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Sand on the bar shift all the time and your better off keeping an eye on where your going rather than looking at a gps what to look out for is where there is less or no white water that where the channels are. Do you have any experience on crossing bars either in your own boat or someone elses as there is many factors to look at before making a decision to take it on for the day. For example Tides, swell height, swell direction and visability etc

As above there has been a massive change in where we have crossed in the last year. If you haven't crossed a bar before consider doing a bar crossing course. It its well worth it but very expensive. Also get friendly with the wanderers, Mark's been crossing it for 30 years and you can pick up a lot of tips at the socials.

I have to agree the South Passage Bar seems to change a lot every time I go through it. Tugger/Mark is correct there are many factors when crossing the bar. It can be a very nasty bar. Probably the best way to learn the bar is to take someone who knows it or follow someone on a good day through the bar.

The Northern channel is probably easier to start with.

If you do try the amity channel make sure you look out for the Rufus King Wreck. I am pretty sure the Dad and boys that sunk there boat earlier this year hit it.

I have to agree the South Passage Bar seems to change a lot every time I go through it. Tugger/Mark is correct there are many factors when crossing the bar. It can be a very nasty bar. Probably the best way to learn the bar is to take someone who knows it or follow someone on a good day through the bar.

If you do try the amity channel make sure you look out for the Rufus King Wreck. I am pretty sure the Dad and boys that sunk there boat earlier this year hit it.

hey Ted is the wreck visible at all?

hey Ted is the wreck visible at all?

At low tide and calm conditions it is easily seen. sits out of the water by about a metre

Hey ted did that boat hit the wreck before it sank?

I cant wait to fish it when im out and swell is down i heard you get good fish around it.

I cant wait to fish it when im out and swell is down i heard you get good fish around it.

I am not totally sure he hit it but the boat hit something big and large that disabled the boat and then they where swamped and flipped. The only thing I know is the Rufus King.

Have you heard how the people that do well off it fish it shane?

We have chucked plastics and stuff around it a few for nothing, not even a touch.

Archived