Littering in our Waterways

billp

Does anyone else find the problem to be getting worse or is it just me? Fishing yesterday I picked up 15 bait packets that were floating in the water in a 2 hour session, without even looking for them. It's bloody disgraceful in my opinion.

I know it will always increase in these times of nice weather when the bogans that only fish a couple of times a year come out and don't care about anything but themselves, but there is still no excuse.

I am wondering if fishing licenses may also help with this problem, as it may keep some of the people that don't care about the ocean off it.

Just my two cents worth. Sorry for the vent.

Mate I agree. While I stick mainly to the estuaries and rivers, I think it is disgraceful. I took the below pic at Pinkenba ramp yesterday morning because I couldn't believe that some deadsh*t would do this.

post-11214-144598946877_thumb.jpg

It looks like they have filleted it and rather than bin it (or God forbid, just walk down to the river and throw it back in there) they have just dropped it in the carpark right beside the ramp.

I would be happy to pay a license fee even to get better amenities at ramps such as more bins and cleaning stations. That might help some of the litter.

Andrew

Yeah i agree. Better/more filleting tables and bins would definitely make it better. If bins are within an arms reach people will generally use them but they have to make even a short walk they will just drop it. A bit like trolley returns at the supermarket carparks.

I agree it is getting worse. Even when we went to lost world the other week the rubbish left on the bank was disgraceful. I am personally in favor of a fishing license. The license in NSW is no burden to pay for anybody. The facilities there are far superior to Qld. Some of the money in NSW goes towards habitat rehab as well.

For the sake of stating a Con here the present Qld government has not shown a respect for the moneys raised for services and has just incorporated them into general revenue. For the License scheme to get off the ground in Qld the funds would have to be set in stone before it would get a resounding support after the levy on the Rego was snapped up.

I wouldn't be holding your breath regarding a licence, from what I have heard it is totally off the table for this governments first term.

You will never stop these nimrods from leaving their garbage behind when they soak a bait, they simply dont have the brain cells to change their ways. We can only do our part when we see it and take it with us.

Reckon there is more of late due to the big tides picking everything up off the bank.

I got the finger from a couple of yakkers when i chatted them last time I was at Hinze they were drinking their take away cups of coffee as they launched and just chucked their empties in the water.

Poor design on SEQ waters part the nearest buns are right up near the toilets . They should have one at the top of the ramp.

Cheers

Ray

Below are a couple of pictures I took of a turtle I found last week. We call these poor guys 'Floaters'.

Floaters eat too much plastic which they can't digest, they then get blockages and gas build ups in their intestines and stomach. They lose the ability to dive for food and bob about on the surface, eventually starving to death.

It makes my blood boil.

P1010795_zps37a49c30.jpg

P1010800_zps5c1660dd.jpg

Good one for picking him up, I have also seen a couple but they don't really like to sit between my legs nice and calm in the yak, so haven't been able to help any yet. Just normally call the fisheries and let them know a place to look.

Below are a couple of pictures I took of a turtle I found last week. We call these poor guys 'Floaters'.

Floaters eat too much plastic which they can't digest, they then get blockages and gas build ups in their intestines and stomach. They lose the ability to dive for food and bob about on the surface, eventually starving to death.

It makes my blood boil.

P1010795_zps37a49c30.jpg

P1010800_zps5c1660dd.jpg

Hey Seiren - Good on u for helping out. I rescued onea year back at Dunwich. Just a note especially with winter coming when they are out of the water you need to wrap them up in a blanket or the like or if hot keep them in the shade. They can not regulate their temp out of the water.

what did you do with the turtle after you picked him up?

We took him back to the UQ research station at Dunwich where they can be treated, or more likely for floaters, sent on to Sea World or Australia Zoo where they are fed an oil that can help clear the plastic out of their intestines.

As my research involves spending a lot of time driving a boat around the Bay I unfortunately come across scenes like this all to often. This year alone I've found 8 dead turtles in the Bay.

The below image is of a huge green turtle I found in January off Moreton Island. Already dead most likely a floater.

IMAG0033_zps9bbd9f08.jpg

and this image is of another turtle I found last week stuck in the mangroves just south of Amity. Happily this guy was healthy, he was just too slow getting himself back out of the mangroves with the dropping tide.

P1010808_zpsaedd908f.jpg

If you find an injured or distressed turtle you can call the UQ Moreton Bay Research Centre on 0734099058 and arrange for them to collect it from you. You can also raise them on channel 73, call sign 'Moreton Bay Research'.

Archived