Mackeral mayhem 29.04

sehrguht

Shane and I headed down to a super secret spot on the gold coast not far from surfers paradise today. We were greeted by a 1m swell with no wind. Live baits were hard to find but we persisted and got a few.

After a bit of messing around trying to catch a tuna for some fresh bait we gave up and anchored on the spot. After about 10mins at anchor with a few lines out the pilchard was struck and we hooked up to our first fish for the day. Shane fought it well and soon a nice yellowfin around 6kg was on the deck and quickly bled.

Baits reset and we are throwing chrome while waiting for a nice big spanish to come along. Shane gets a solid hit on the slug but no hookup. A good sign that they are around.

After 45mins pass all of the sudden Shanes rod bursts to life screaming for help. Pulled a couple of the lines in and then Shane is left to battle the fish. After a solid fight the fish hung itself on the anchor rope. We pulled a couple metres up and i placed a nice gaff shot into it.

First spanish for the day. Excellent

post-5575-144598947441_thumb.jpg

Baits set out again and we resumed spinning slugs. 15mins later the same rod bursts to life and I pick it up at Shanes insistance. Hooked up to a solid fish and after a few tearing runs Shane places a nice gaff shot in the side of it. Lucky too because the treble had only hit it in the top of the head.

My first spanish:

post-5575-144598947452_thumb.jpg

As we reset the baits shanes lighter combo goes off. With the spool quickly draining we decide to put a float on the anchor and give chase. after following this thing swimming in a straight line for 1km+ we decide that its not a pelagic and more than likely a shark that is going to waste a lot of our time. Then Shane's rod snapped in three pieces...

Back to the spot and we anchored up and floated some more baits out. Soon after my big baitrunner got smashed and it was on. About 1 minute later Shane's rod is buckling as well and its on lines going everywhere and somehow even through we crossed lines we didnt get wrapped on the anchor or anything. Shane placed a nice solo gaff shot on his and then assisted me in bringing up a 125cm spanish around 12kg. My second spanish and a solid pb to try and break tomorrow:)

post-5575-144598947482_thumb.jpg

After this we had run low on good baits and were no longer marking any fish on the sounder so we decided to chase a couple tuna. Ended up with one small mack tuna for a bit of bait.

End of the day:

post-5575-144598947462_thumb.jpg

post-5575-144598947472_thumb.jpg

post-5575-144598947492_thumb.jpg

After a mess of filleting two spanish yielded over 12kg of fillets. Looks like ill be eating mackeral for a while.

Awesome the sound the reel makes when a spanaird hits its unlike most other fish they are fast and powerfull on their first run its what hooked me with fishing many moons ago they were my baptism into offshore lets see if we can get some more tomorrow

Secret spot aye B)

Cheers for taking me out today bro.

It was a awesome day.

Beautiful day and the fish were on.

I told you yesterday wed catch and il get you first spanish haha.

GC is funny. Its either you clean up or catch nothing.

I think i have worked it out when that spot fires lol

You got 1 on bait now. Wait till you get one spinning. Its awesome fun.

Probaly my favourite style of fishing. Spinning for spanish. Its hard eork but rewarding in end.

Tugger everything you ever told me before about mackerel fishinh. It all makes sense now. I would have never thought spanish mackerel hit such big baits.

When we couldnt find livies today i told jeremy wed focus on spining as i didnt think theyd bonito would work.

The bonito was in water for max 2-3 min each time before getting smashed.

Never throwing them back again. I wonder if the off straddie mackerel like them.

Dom i broke another lucky craft lol. Its okay ima get a steez hotdog now haha

What ever it was took 250m of line in 1 run. I had drag locked.

Jeremy you needa get a saltiga too lol. Than you stand up and deliver lol. No need to run around boat haha.

Couple photos from yesterdays spinning and today

post-9281-144598947502_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598947514_thumb.jpg

post-9281-144598947524_thumb.jpg

Shane

Well done on your first Spanish Jeremy.

We will show you how its done tomorrow mate,just keep an eye on the old boys out there. :P:P:P

Now now lance. I have taught him well today.

Only think you have to remember jeremy is not to strike and if it wants to go let it go.

If only i could go back tomorrow. It would have being oldies vs the young blood haha.

Goidluck boys

We will show you how its done tomorrow mate,just keep an eye on the old boys out there. :P:P:P

Only think you have to remember jeremy is not to strike and if it wants to go let it go.

If only i could go back tomorrow. It would have being oldies vs the young blood haha.

Goidluck boys

And the young bloods would be bleeding,,lmfao :P:P:P:P:P

Goidluck boys

And the young bloods would be bleeding,,lmfao :P:P:P:P:P

I hear the young blood were bleeding more fish over the side today.

Losing the touch already :P

Yes it was a tough day today Shane.

We got 1 out of 8 fish,not a good score at all,lol

We got busted up,bitten off and pulled hooks,everything that could go wrong did today.

Atleast you guys were out.

I had one of those days few weeks back when they ran first time round.

I lost so many fish.

Whats this i hear you boys spinning today.

What slug you get your one on?

No tuna lol?

Archived