Flathead Classic

Beefa

A mate and I are fishing the Flathead Classic down on the Goldie beginning of next month for the first time and was just interested to know if anyone else has fished it in previous years and if so has there been any success and if so where abouts and what lures worked the best for you, any info would be greatly appreciated fella's.

Cheers.

Heath,

I fished the first 5 or 6 Flathead Classics. It is based at Southport and fishing boundaries take in the Nerang River, Southport Broadwater, Jumpinpin up to about Slipping Sands and all of the streams in between.

Depends on the areas fished as to the most productive lures. We fished the shallow flats around Crab Island and up around the Bedrooms last time we competed and did very well. Trolled pink MinMins in very shallow water and got stacks of flatties. We placed in the top 10% in the teams event and young Tony was the highest point scoring sub-junior over all.

If you fish slightly deeper water and target the channel edges, around weed beds and mouths of mangrove gutters use softies like the 3\" BOZOS mullet. They sink quickly, have a great action at low speed and come in a range of great colours. We've been braining lizards on a colour called dipstick.

A top secret spot we fished BOZOS was along the eastern half on the northern shoreline of Crusoe. Oops!:S Guess its not a secret any longer.

Cheers Schultzy,

Will be sure to stock up on those plastics for sure along with a few hard bodies. I am keen to do a bit of trolling but not sure what to spend most of our time doing either trolling or casting SP's or even toying with the idea of casting Jackalls as well i guess it will be a wait and see thing , try'em all and see what bites.

In regards to start each morning do you have to all take off from the same spot or you can start anywhere as long as it as at the designated time. They say that they have a cut off this year of 450 anglers so thats a few boats on the water. Last year over the 3days they landed 2800 flattie!!!!!! not bad.

Heath,

In past years you could launch anywhere within the fishing boundaries. That was handy when we fished from the Scanoe as it cut down on travelling time.

I'd be inclined to spend plenty of time throwing softies, especially during the falling tide.

It is definitely worth doing some exploratory trips prior to the comp to sus out some spots that are producing. During the tournament isn't the best time to be exploring or experimenting.

beefa a mate and I have fished the classic afew times now and have thoroughly enjoyed it.Most of our success has come from anarea known as the aldershots. The fish we have caught here are not monsters but good point scoring fish although i have seen a 1m+ lizard pullrd from here not during the comp.Good luck in the classic.... BRENDO

p.s. stock up on pink hardbodies and SP's

Archived