Mud Island Snapper

goulza

Hey guys,

I am planing on heading out to Mud island for the first trip tomorrow( weather permitting) and hopefully chase some Snapper.

Can anyone offer some advice...tide times, lure types/colours, jighead weights, water depth etc etc.

I will be using Soft Plastics and I do have a range of colours and styles(paddle tails, jerk shads, curly tails etc), and with a sounder was planning on looking for structure.

I hear the Snapper like red/pink and greens when it comes to plastics?

Thanks in advance

G'Day goulza,

There's lots of info to answer your questions about Mud in past reports so make the search function your friend.

Everyone will have different tips and opinions on how to fish it so expect to try out different tactics and find what works for you.

Good luck and don't forget to add your own reports when you give it a crack.

Rob

Thanks mate,

I have just started using search on this site instead of google search.

I went out to Mud Island today and had a look around.

I got 4 fish but released them all. There were some good bust ups happening but I couldnt get onto anything big or any snapper.

I have posted some pics of the wee guys and there was a barely legal size sweetlip that I didnt get a pic of.

Had a good day though and learnt alot about the area. I had some big hits on plastics and watched several fish chasing the lures but not sure what they were? They were shaped like garfish but the size of a barracuda?

post-11541-144598952558_thumb.jpg

post-11541-144598952567_thumb.jpg

post-11541-144598952574_thumb.jpg

yep that was me...that lure in your profile pic is what I got the most action on all day. Z-Man 3 inch minnow in opening night?

Yep!

Got about 8 or so legales ( bream) on them today.. I rig mine with a HWS ( Hidden weight system ) and use them on surface.. the paddle tail slays and bream love em! play a lot more fun to use!

That bream in my Display Picture was a kicker I got last weekend on that method

Good stuff mate - always nice to be out at Mud with action around. Am assuming that is a type of Bonito? If so would make good strip baits.

That is a Watsons Leaping Bonito Kelvin.

Not as good for bait as an Australian or Oriental Bonito but still not bad.

Well we had a good day at Mud today.

I took a friend of mine with me on his first fishing trip and 10 minutes after sunrise he hooks a good Snapper on the Z man soft plastic.

We ended up crusing around the island trying to explore new ground and ended up getting 2 Tailor and 2 undersize Squire.

The big Snapper was 83cm and 22lb gutted...not bad for a first timer!

I also accidentally discovered a way to change the colour of the Z man plastics... I had put the 4' curly tails in white pearl, into a bag with curly tails in the motor oil colour.

This made the plastic turn green at the head and the fish seem to like the new colour :)

post-11541-14459895394_thumb.jpg

post-11541-14459895395_thumb.jpg

post-11541-144598953959_thumb.jpg

post-11541-144598953984_thumb.jpg

post-11541-144598953994_thumb.jpg

Archived