What prop to get?

Brian D

I have asked this before but I keep forgetting. I want to get more top end speed and soften the jump out of the hole.

It's a Yamaha 60 4stroke on a 15' Cruise Craft runabout. My current prop ia a yammy model with a 13 on it.

I am thinking getting a Solas 14 but I dont have any idea if I am heading the right or wrong way.

Anyone know what is what?

I'd reckon talk to the bloke who sorted it for you when you got it sorted the first time, if I remember correctly you had a mongrel of a time until he got a look at it.

Soften it out of the hole is easy, that big lever actually gradually changes the engine revs Brian, its not an on / off switch! :)

No idea really Brian. But I have an opinion:P

I agree with Feral too. ;)

I think you need to match the prop to the boat as well as the motor, so what goes well on boat 'A's boat will be different to boat 'B's, if you know what I mean.

Also, if you take your boat outside I'd have thought that quick response is better than top end speed. A lagging response could be dangerous when bar crossing etc ??

Anyway, hope you get it sorted.:)

No doubt someone like Loz will come to the rescue.

As Feral said, it's not all different pitches go faster or give more power. It depends on the hp and rpm of your motor usually. A mate of mine who I fish with regularly went through about 4 or 5 props and over a month of annoyance with Solas because they couldn't just order in a freaking 12, it was always 13 or 14 or somewhere in between.

If you have the incorrect pitch you can definatly feel the difference in power when you're punching out of holes and and can take some effort to get up on the plane, I had to sit on the bow when Simon had the dodgey prop.

So yeah give someone a call and it shouldn't take long to get what you want.

Troy

Brian Do you have a rev counter on your boat and if so what revs is it doing at wot?

If the motor is over propped ( too high a pitch)it wont rev out and you wont be able to getup in plane with a load and conversely if it under pitched it will get out of the hole quickly and will over rev at wot.

If you dont have a rev counter it may pay to see if you can borrow one.

Ray

Ah thanks I think. Feral you know I can't think like that It's flat out or stop.

Ray Yeah I got a rev meter - it revs out at 6100 and the rev limiter kicks in. At this point I can only get 3/4 throttle.

So I rang Solas and they suggest go from 13 to 14 and then if I still have more top end speed to gain they can do something to the 14 to make it more like a 15.

I booked the boat in for 100 hour service with Yatala Yammy (the guy who sorted it last time) and he reackons go straight to the 15. He also said he'll fit it and let me try it out. If I don't like it he'll change it for a 14.

I should end up getting another 5knots top end speed with the same fuel economy. Sounds OK to me.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Job done. I choose a 15\" prop and it's a ripper. The boat still jumps out of the hole like a fire ant on steriods, it's full plane within 2 boat lengths and top end speed has increased by 20% for 5% less fuel consumption.

It has gone from 30mph at 6100 revs to 36mph at 5800 revs. Thats 57.8kph, fast enough for a 15 footer.

BTW I had the wheel bearings replaced for the awoonga trip. Yatala Yammy's idea and very idea at that.

Gezz them guys at Yatala Yammy do a bloody good job. Thanks again Paul.

THanks for the love guys :kiss:

At 800rpm I had 4.3kph on the GPS. That should be good for trolling but if not I have a sea anchor that I can drop over the side.

I do think a bucket each side may be better the the anchor just to avoid the chance of tangles with the rope and fish.

Just bring it on - I'm leaving in 16 days.

Brian,

4.3KPH is just fine for barra trolling. You might be going faster than many of the other boats but that just means you'll be able to cover more water.

No need to worry about towing the buckets for Awoonga but you might want to use them next time you go chasing Murray cod.

Archived