Back to basics...Tips for Winter Whiting?

rathabfishin2

Well after persisting, persisting and persisting I have not had much luck chasing the snapper. In the interests of getting some good fishing mojo back and after hearing about good numbers and sizes of winter whiting being around I am thinking about going for a day where the aim is to "get back to basics".

I also do not want to drive too far in either car or boat so POB ramp is where I would launch.

If anyone can give me any tips on which area to target (not asking for secret spots), and any helpful hints/tips (depths to fish etc) I would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers Andrew

Hey bud two weekends ago we went out and found it to be pretty quiet we found a good patch of winter whiting on the rock wall at mud. Just using Gulp worms and drifting we caught close to 60 in about an hour or so. All good sized 25+. I have also seen people use bait jigs and padernoster rigs to pull them out! Have fun

Hey mate,

I used to do the same chasing snapper etc but was Never consistent, so I too have been chasing whiting of late, each time I've put at least three feeds onthe table for a family of five, yesterday I caught five feeds!

I use two hand lines with 12lb line, size 4 red long shank hooks, paternoster style with a heavy sinker, it gets the bait back down fast and doesn't affect catch rate,

I use those frozen preserved worms(good), live blood worms(better) and the best for me so far is squid strips sliced the night before and a capful of red food colouring in the container, seems to work especially well for larger fish,

The compass adjustment bouy used to fish well but I've heard not so great after the 2011 floods? I would head out into the bay from the pob ramp and look for a group of boats. They will probably be onto some?

post-4907-144598969689_thumb.jpg

Compass co ordinates

Good luck!!

Hey bud two weekends ago we went out and found it to be pretty quiet we found a good patch of winter whiting on the rock wall at mud. Just using Gulp worms and drifting we caught close to 60 in about an hour or so. All good sized 25+. I have also seen people use bait jigs and padernoster rigs to pull them out! Have fun

Thanks mate, I was thinking of trying some of the banks closer but if that fails Mud might be the option. Is the rock wall your talking about along the south western corner?

the best for me so far is squid strips sliced the night before and a capful of red food colouring in the container, seems to work especially well for larger fish

Thanks mate. Thats an interesting idea colouring the squid! Unfortunatley its a bit late for me to do that so will just use the squid I have and will deadstick a squid jig on the drift in case there are a few around. I have in the past had luck using fillets of pilchards too which I will try if I do decide to go.

Yeah i meant to say southeast corner of mud that rocky wall there we just kept drifting along it. We found it buy seeing a few other boats doing the same thing and decided to drop a line i thought the first one was a summer whiting it was so big haha.

Archived