New car - best rust protection?

benno573

Hi all,

I am in the process of purchasing a new BT50 dual cab, looking at a Sept delivery date. First brand new car, bit excited... :woohoo:

I am looking for advice on what people recommend as the best rust protection for a new car. The car will be used on the beach once or twice a year at least (week long holidays sort of thing), will never driven through salt water, always washed extensively after each trip... usual sort of stuff.

I had electronic rust protection on my previous car which was definitely not 100% successful and the organisation who administered it were at best a nightmare to deal with. I am open to the electronic option, however, definitely not through the Motor One / Ming organisation. :evil:

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Benno

Mate, I'm a Coupler Tec dealer and I can vouch for them as an effective rust prevention system with an excellent warranty.I've seen mixed reports on the net about their effectiveness but I can tell you the I've been very impressed with the results on my customer's vehicles.

i can also give you a better than retail price too mate ;)

When I brought the patrol I went through the same dilemma. The rust proofing guy said have you had any issues with spray on rust proofing which I hadn't with a lot of beach time racked up. So he asked why would change. Had a chemical rust treatment done nine years now not a speck of rust last car cruiser ten years no rust. Detailed clean after beach work, is required.

Cheers

Azza

Thanks Azza.

I was thinking a combination of a full underbody spray on product along with the back up of electronic, not 100% sure I need both though if I get a good spray on jobbie. DEpends on the $ side of things I guess.

Where did you get your spray on done? Not tan, the rust proofing thing! :silly:

I got it from a guy at Albion will have to look up the details, not wishing to bag maxpwr product but the guy said to me that he can sell me an electronic system if I want but he can buy them for under 50 bucks and sell them for hundreds would you trust your 50 k car to something out of china worth 50 bucks. He did the under body with a product and all the internals of body panels with another waxy non hardening product.

Regards

Azza

Azza is right about the mark up of electronic rust protection units, especially the sacrificial anode type and the single piece units the dealerships fit. I will say though that ERPS and Couplertec units are far more expensive and in a totally different league.

I'm not trying to sway you benno just adding my 2 cents. Most of our electronic rust system sales are repeat buyers or people who have already done their research and walk in and book in.

And too, a lot of guys do a full chemical treatment as well as electronic but we stopped doing chemical years ago partly because of less demand but mostly because its a bugger of a job.... Especially in summer with all of the hot gear you have to wear. Don't miss that I can tell you !

Also, an electronic system when fitted correctly will protect areas that spray on just doesn't get to such as door tops, roof panels etc as the charge is carried through the vehicle in its entirety not just where you can get a wand to.

from the research I have done, the coupler tech is one of the more highly regarded ones on the market for sure.

I think if I go with a full underbody spary on stuff and possibly the electronic as a back up that should be all good.

Thanks for the contact as well there Azza.

Archived