I need Outboard ID tag help

DScott2542

Hi everyone,

I am not used to opening a subscription with a help question but I am in fair need of help right now. Before I go too far into this I would like to make the point that I have bought boats and outboards in the past, maintained them and rebuilt one, and have quite strong sea legs so I am not entirely a novice, which makes me feel like I really should have known better before doing what I am now asking help for :blush: .

Ok, the story, I have just purchased a second hand Yamaha 140hp outboard from quite a reputable Victorian boat mechanic and had it shipped to Brisbane, it got here just fine, no damage in transit that I know of. I have gone looking for the serial and model number ID tag and have subsequently found that it is missing. I am a little worried about this as I am fairly certain that this information is required for insurance purposes, not to mention to keep it maintained. I am not under the impression that it has been stolen as the mechanic knew much about its history and the previous owner (said it was a '98 model), I am mainly concerned that I am not going to be able to insure it and I need to know part numbers to keep it in good shape. I have spoken to a (quite rude) Yamaha outboard dealer in Brisbane and got, apart from being hung up on twice :angry: , told that there is no other location that serial numbers are stamped on these outboards. I am wondering if this is really true? as I do not trust the source that told me this, and I am wondering what I can do about the serial number thing? Any help will be very much appreciated guys, thanks in advance.

Daniel Scott

Thank you Bi-Pola and Doss, I will certainly give these suggestions a go. Motu, you are too damn right mate I was left feeling pretty crappy after I finally got to speak to someone about this problem, I have spent days on the internets searching for answers, there is a plethora of information on this topic from the states but there does not seem to be much to say about it in Aus. I am slightly confused about that as I am sure I am not the first nor only person to have had this happen in our great land?

Archived