Tips of Getting Out Caloundra Bar and Bars in General

sprintcardude

Evening everyone,

i am going camping again at caloundra this holidays but this time i am takeing the boat. i have never gone out a bar before and am wanting to ask for the basic tips on going out through bars. I am heading ou the bar below

post-9637-144598987575_thumb.png

I am asking for general advice to get at bars in general but also help in caloundra in particular.

Cheers Justin ;)

Mate that's not a bar for a beginer (hope I'm not offending u there) just look at the amount of sand that will move with the tides in the pic u posted. That can move at any time.

BUT the general rule of thumb with ANY bar crossing is to sit back off the waves and watch the wave pattern for a few minutes.. at least 3 sets .... typically they will roll with some consistency. Watch where they break and where they hold. Set off on the back of 2nd wave of the set, DO NOT get ahead of the wave, u want to ride it as it runs out, keeping an eye on what comes from behind so u can throttle out of trouble.

KEEP A CONSTANT motion unless the situation dictates a surge (power wave or rogue forms behind you)

If you have to cross against the bar ( basically u screwed up on tides) sit back, count the patterns watching for the small breaks, if there are none and u can NOT see clear water, err on the side of caution, anchor off and wait 3-4 hours hrs is a short kick in the butt for saving lives. There aren't a lot of people around who can recount getting stuck on a shallow bar but plentry who can tell you what happened and how sadly their mates are missed.

Like Sehrguht said unless experienced only really crossable on a small swell on a making tide. Very shallow bar. It has capsized more than its fair share of boats. The other problem with Caloundra is that there is no shelter. I.e. most other bars in the region have a lot more shelter from SE swell.

There are a few other good options.

1.) 20min drive up to Mooloolaba and some decent offshore options not too far away like the inner and outer gneerings. You can cross it at night no worries unless there is a largeish easterly swell running. Although a bit shallow at the moment.

2.) If you are fishing from a reasonably small boat and there is no swell around launch from the Kings Beach ramp

Having crossed the Noosa Bar a few times I personally

Check the tides and the depth per hour and time it around 21/2 hours before the high tide and return an hour- 1-1/2 hours after high tide. I know I have plenty of water under the boat.

Dont go out during spring tides or moderate swell and windy

Go slow over waves, watch the Noosa Bar report or on youtube as there are plenty of videos on the right way but more so the wrong way to head out/in

Know exactly where you will go and plan your trip for that spot

Log on/off with coastguard with mobile if you have no radio

Keep an eye on conditions and if not good return

coming back go slow and dont let any waves catch you when coming back in.

Learn how to recognise deep water and set waves.

Better still go and watch how others do it the day before around the same time you intend to go out.

if in doubt, dont cross and fish the river

good luck and take your time crossing

Archived