Lake Borumba Trip

Surfingant

Hi all,

I went up to Lake Borumba on the weekend to chase a few fish, with the mighty Saratoga being number 1 on my hit list, along for the weekend was my mate Luke and Ferg made the effort to get there Saturday around lunchtime. After a few rums on Friday night Luke and I hit the dam early Saturday morning in search of a few fish, it was my first time at Borumba so I was just about salivating at the thought of getting on the water :lol: We fished hard that morning and had a cast at just about every bit of structure along the way for zilch apart from a few half hearted hits here and there, the fishing was very tough. We made the call just after lunch to turn back to have a bite to eat and regroup back at camp, Ferg had just launched his tinny and was heading out for a flick but made the call to come back in with us after hearing of our morning.

After a feed and a couple more beverages we set off for the creek to fish a late arvo/evening session, it didn't take long before Lukey was hooked up solid and at first from a distance I thought it looked like he'd hooked a cod, as I got closer and he got a glimpse it turned out to be a bloody great big eel- that was fun ;)

We kept on flicking and as the sun set the other 2 started smacking a few fish on surface, I say the other 2 because no matter what I did I could not buy a hit, I think it ended with Luke having 4 little bass and Ferg got 3, I finally got a hit and felt weight but didn't set the hook.

post-7024-144598991806_thumb.jpg

Saturday night over some more rumbos we hatched the plan to all go out in Ian's tinny and head right up the back of the dam where Luke has had a lot of success in the past, we made it up there in good time and started throwing our lures, Ferg and Luke in the water at the snags and me wherever it would land after my line snapped, I think I lost about $100 worth of lures to line or knot failure :evil:

We kept on up the dam and reality was dawning on us that it was just not going to happen when finally Luke hooks up and quickly calls Toga! The fish was quickly brought into the net and it was high fives and relief all round that the target species was finally in the boat, there was now hope :lol:

post-7024-144598991818_thumb.jpg

post-7024-144598991828_thumb.jpg

After that we kept on going up the dam and it got skinnier and snaggier, it looked prime for plenty of fish and we got a few hits here and there but no hookups unfortunately. I went through the tackle box looking for another lure change and went with a Damiki GPS spinnerbait that has worked pretty well on cod in the past, a few casts in and I got a solid take out from a drowned tree, it was no toga or cod but it was my first bass on a spinnerbait and at last an end to my doughnut.

post-7024-144598991838_thumb.jpg

With the water running out we turned around to fish the other bank on the way back down the dam, Ferg cast into a snag for nothing and then Luke cast in after him and got walloped with the fish putting up a very good account of itself, it turned out to be a solid yellowbelly and Luke was stoked as he said from the start he'd like to get one this trip.

post-7024-144598991849_thumb.jpg

We kept on moving and came across Ian's favourite spot for toga, he said he's had plenty of hookups but due to the bony mouth had never managed to land one, well that soon changed with a good hookup coming pretty quickly and a 56cm toga in the net, well done on your first Saratoga Ian :woohoo:

post-7024-144598991859_thumb.jpg

That was the last fish boated, Luke got absolutely drilled by a good fish, most likely a toga, and I had to get back to the airport so we reluctantly called it a day and weekend. Despite many on water dramas and a severe lack of fish from my end I still had an absolute ball and am now just more determined to get my first toga, congrats again on the toga Ferg and thanks for making the effort to come out and also the decky spots, it was greatly appreciated.

Here's a few random pics to finish off.

post-7024-144598991869_thumb.jpg

post-7024-144598991878_thumb.jpg

post-7024-144598991888_thumb.jpg

post-7024-144598991896_thumb.jpg

post-7024-144598991903_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading, Ant :)

I'd trade alot of Bass to catch just one Toga so jealous you guys got two, also will we start seeing a shift towards the use of Spinnerbaits from you Ant now you've caught a Bass on one.

Cheers

Mark

Cheers Mark, yes you will see me using spinnerbaits more but not because of the bass, like you I'd trade bass for a toga any day and spinnerbaits means a better chance of staying connected to one.

So far Borumba is my favourite dam with the steep mountains means you can usually find shade some where and extend your fishing hours.

The guy in the tackle shop is always helpful and the camping grounds are very good as well, and very popular.

Good yella, was a nice Golden colour.

Out of 4 trips to Borumba only pulled 2 Saratoga and both on Spinner baits, and surprisingly very soft takes on both occasions.

Great report and photos.

Get some Jitterbigs and go have some fun on the Toga.

Cicada lures work great on them as well.

Trust me, we threw everything we had at them, including jitterbugs and cicadas, they just weren't playing the game. We spotted a lot on the Sunday but it was just shut down, Luke said he's never seen it so dead and he's been fishing it for nearly 10 years.

Archived