Knot breaking

bulldogs195461

Maybe this is normal, but I only noticed it today. I use 6lb leader to my jig head everytime I pulled to test I broke it, the knot was ok, broke a little above it. I thought my leader was no good so got a cheap one from k meet and same thing, I usually use vanish. So is it just me noticing this,I was just wondering if you landed a fish wouldn't it break easy to cheers john

You wetting the knot well before pulling tight?

it doesn't take to much to break 6lb, but you should be pulling harder than you would to make the knot snug. It could just be rotten, some lines dont last much over 12 months once exposed to the elements. Noticed the same thing with Barra leaders a couple of years ago. Much weaker after sitting in the shed for 12 months. I buy new spools of leader each year now.

Always moisten the line with a bit of saliva and very gently and slowly slide the knot down to the jighead, once it is roughly formed use slightly firmer pressure to snug it tight. I always slide the knot down the line with my fingers, don't pull it tight just using the mainline as this will likely lead to friction burn and weaken your line, that is the issue you are having.

Archived