Mermaid Reef Report 12-2-14

Bri The Pom

Had a plan yesterday to head to palmy with a mate, jump currumbin bar mid tide and have a go at a few macks. The plan was to anchor up for a few hours and then have a troll with my outriggers only fitted the day before.

Had a call late the night before with my mate pulling the pin, so solo it was.

Jumped in the ute but decided to just head to mermaid. So at the ramp early, logged on and headed to gather a few livies and onto mermaid. A few boats already there so found a spot with plenty of room and settled in for the morning. Burley pot over the side and start adding a few cubes. Had a livie under a balloon way out and a pillie with a strip of lead inside just sitting in the buley trail.

Quiet for about 3/4 of an hour and i notice two birds hovering to the left of me within casting range i fire out a slug and within 5 winds i was on and the reel was screaming, a good fight and I boated my first spanish mackerel at just over a metre.

The next rod to go off was the pillie and I was rewarded with a nice spottie. I sent that out again but under a balloon and that soon went off again and my second spaniard was making my esky look very impressive, Which is a first in a very long time. Pillies were hooked with wire and slug was mono, small length of 100lb crimped to a swivel and all 30lb braid.

Went very quiet so deployed the outriggers and had a troll home, but no takers on the lures

Plenty of boats around for a week day and water at 24.9 d.

A day to remember for a while, until the next time hopefully.

Go get em,

Cheers all,

Bri.

post-662-144599030022_thumb.jpg

Well done Bri. Gratz on the first. Looks like you made the right call to go to mermaid as from all reports palmy was quiet yesterday. I love catching fish spinning, it is so much more fun than a set line. I trolled around Straddy yesterday and did not land anything. The shotgun skirt went off at one stage with a blistering run but the hooks did not stay attached. Strike indicated the fish ad some nasty teeth.

You are doing well to put a spread out on your own. Need to get an auto pilot if you intend to do that a fair bit. I can not keep my boat straight when putting the lures out.

Well done Bri. Gratz on the first. Looks like you made the right call to go to mermaid as from all reports palmy was quiet yesterday. I love catching fish spinning, it is so much more fun than a set line. I trolled around Straddy yesterday and did not land anything. The shotgun skirt went off at one stage with a blistering run but the hooks did not stay attached. Strike indicated the fish ad some nasty teeth.

You are doing well to put a spread out on your own. Need to get an auto pilot if you intend to do that a fair bit. I can not keep my boat straight when putting the lures out.

Cheers guys,

Ted, don't forget then theres the teasers, what a nightmare.

Nice one Bri!! Bit of a form improvement after being unable to even catch livies when I was out with you ............. Enjoy those fillets!

Well Kelvin you are correct, I was at rock bottom, without a doubt, BUT this bad boy is on the way up. I have ordered a new longer brag mat, so watch this space. See you at the top.

Archived