Graphite or alluminium spools?

boon

Hey guys just wondering which one you prefer and why? I know that alluminium is more durable but heavier but just wondering what users think. I've got a cheap shimano reel with a graphite body which I intend to use in a light tackle setup and gonna get an alluminium one for the heavier rod.

Much of a muchness to be honest. Most of my reels came with an aluminium spool, and a second graphite one. The graphite one gets the mono, the aluminium the braid. But I dont notice the difference bewtween the materials they are made of while using them..

jeff f wrote:

if graphite isn't carbon fiber what is it

Hey Jeff, I was curious of the differences as well, so did a bit of research and found a thread about it.

Fellas,

I'm a composites engineer by day. And I actually know the anser to this question! It's even one of the points I make in a presentation that I sometimes give to new engineers.

The difference lies in the time and temperature at which the fibers are heated during the manufacturing process. Graphite is formed at hotter temperatures than carbon, the result of more crystaline alignment and cross linking of the carbon atoms.

The result, in a nutshell, is that carbon is STRONGER than graphite, but graphite is STIFFER than carbon. So while graphite will elongate (stretch) less than carbon, it will break before a carbon fiber does. In other words, graphite is more \"brittle\" than carbon.

Even in the industry, the terms \"graphite\" and \"carbon fiber\" seem to be used interchangeably. However, in almost all cases when we are dealing with fibers, they are carbon fibers and not graphite. The combination of strength and stiffness make carbon fibers much more useable in real world applications than graphite.

Andy

That's from this site -> http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/archive/index.php/t-38339.html

Brian D wrote:

So why don't they make carbon rods instead of graphite.?? Dur.:blink:

prolly cos carbon fibre is very expansive material to manufacture - depending on where it was made of course:P - also when carbon fibre breaks it shatters into lots of pieces seen it happen to a high quality japanese carbon fibre bonnet :blink:

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

Fisher_90 wrote:
How much????

er, rods should be AUD80-AUD150 tops -special pricing for AFO. do bear in mind, these rods are JDM prototypes, none exist elsewhere :D.

shipping would be separate, but if anyone is interested i could ask do$tylz whether he minds bringing it back to bris after he visits me in november.

is it jus the blanks or does it have guides and reel seat?? if so what type of guides and seat would it have??

Archived