breaking strain

jeff f

does anyone know what the actual breaking point is of fine braids?

i,ve always fished with one and two kg I.G.F.A. rated pre-test monno wich breaks at or below the stated weight but in the last 12 months have tried 1 and 2 kg size braid wich feels great but breaks at WAY over the stated size and takes alot of the challenge out of it. can you get braid fine enough to actuaklly break at 1 or 2 kg?

if ur buying american based braid, it's usually well over the indicate breaking strain. braid in american r ranked by its diameter instead of actual breaking strain. so if an american based braid is of the same diameter as a 10lb mono, it's probably rated 10lb.

however, if ur buying braid made by japanese based manufacturers, the actual breaking strain will be the same as the rating. JP based braid rank according to the actual breaking strain, not diameter.

fireline's not fine braid. go powerpro, varivas, daiwa sensor or something 2-3times the price of fireline.

Fisher_90 wrote:

why does it matter if its igfa?

I.G.F.A. rated lines are guaranteed to break at or under the stated breaking strain for competition use and for claiming records,so 1kg kreaks at 1kg not 4kg.

i like to give fish a fighting chance

i like to know exactly how much pressure i can put on a fish

and after years of using true breaking strain 1and 2 kg i find 1 and 2kg braid no real challenge

nothing better than than a school of 2 to 5 kg tuna on real 2kg spin gear:woohoo:

Don't think thats right about knot strength as different knots have different strength's

I've asked this question before both in here and by suppliers and no one seems to know

possiblities

line diam which brand of line ? are they comparing it to

knot strength which knot ??

their guess or marketing ploy ?

I'll send an email to some makers and ask the question as I'd like to know too

I've fished all the line class's 1kg up in mono like Jeff and no way are they even close ?

Gaz

Emails sent to Berkley and Platypus lets see what they say ;)

found this might be usefull.

Berkley Fireline XDS is a nighly developed line for experienced anglers. Knot Tests for two samples are below.

Hope you find the information useful.

Berkely Fireline XDS 9.75 Kg (green)

? Bimini Twist Double was tied to a hook and tested until the Bimini broke at 9.4 kg (20.7 lbs), 97% of the lines stated breaking strain.

? Braid Snell was tied to a hook and the break was measured at 8.1 kg (17.8lbs): 83% of the line?s stated breaking strain.

? Double Uni Knot: Two lengths were joined with double 6 turn Double Uni Knots and tested until the join parted at 3.8 kg (8.4 lbs) 39% of the line?s stated breaking strain.

? Bimini Cats Paw Splice: Two lengths of line were joined with a Bimini Cat?s Paw Splice and tested until join parted at 5.8 kg (12.8lbs) 60% of the line?s stated breaking strain.

? Albright Knot: A length of 30 lb Penn 10X monofilament was attached using an Albright knot with 14 turns (7 in each direction) and tested until the knot broke at 5.2 kg (11.4lbs) or 54% of the line?s stated breaking strain.

? Silly Snell: Line was tied to a hook using a Silly Snell and the break was measured at 3.2 kg (7lbs). 33% of the line?s stated breaking strain.

? Braid Ring Knot: A hook was attached using a Braid Ring Knot and tested till the knot parted at 7 kg (15.4 lbs), 72 % of the line?s stated breaking strain.

? Braid Leader Knot: A length of bulk monofilament marked 50 pounds was attached by first tying a Bimini Twist Double and then a Braid Leader Knot. The join parted at 9.1kg (20 lbs), 9% 94% of the line?s stated breaking strain.

Berkely Fireline XDS 17.14 Kg (green)

? Bimini Twist Double was tied to a hook and tested until the Bimini broke at 19 kg (42 lbs), 111% of the lines stated breaking strain.

? Braid Snell was tied to a hook and the break was measured at 15 kg (33 lbs): 88% of the line?s stated breaking strain, or about 79% of the line?s probable true breaking strain.

? Double Uni Knot: Two lengths were joined with 6 turn Double Uni Knots and tested until the join parted at 11 kg (24.2 lbs) 64% of the line?s stated breaking strain, or about 58% of the line?s probable true breaking strain.

? Bimini Cats Paw Splice: Two lengths of line were joined with a Bimini Cat?s Paw Splice and tested until join parted at 17 kg (37.4 lbs) 100% of the line?s stated breaking strain, or 90% of the line?s probable true breaking strain.

? Albright Knot: A length of bulk monofilament marked 50 pound breaking strain was attached using a 14 turn (seven turns in each direction) Albright Knot and tested until the Albright parted at 10.5kg (23.1 lbs), 62% of the line?s stated breaking strain or about 55% of the line?s probable true breaking strain.

? Silly Snell: Line was tied to a hook using a Silly Snell and the break was measured at 10.5 kg (23.1 lbs). 62% of the line?s stated breaking strain or 55% of the probable true breaking strain.

? Braid Ring Knot: A hook was attached using a Braid Ring Knot and tested till the knot parted at 17.5 kg (38.57lbs); 102 % of the line?s stated breaking strain or about 92% of the line?s probable true breaking strain.

? Braid Leader Knot: A length of bulk monofilament marked 50 pounds was attached by first tying a Bimini Twist Double and then a Braid Leader Knot. The join parted at 16.5 kg (36.3 lbs); 96% of the lines stated breaking strain or 87% of the line?s probable true breaking strain.

Fireline has a breaking strain as given when using a Palomar knot.

Mono has that breaking strain in the mainline. Therefore it will usually break at a % less than that becuase of the knot.

For example, if you use a knot which has an 85% breaking strain (When tied properly!) 10lbs mono will break at 8.5lbs. This of course is assuming your line doesn't have any nicks or cuts in it already.

If you want to have the mono break at, or close to 100% - use a Bimini Twist and tie a decent knot with the double. However, take note that if you do this the line could break anywhere. Instead of just losing your terminal tackle you could lose 50m of line as well

Edit: just saw shorties post above.

You also have to note that different knots break at a different % of the BS depending on the thickness of the line (line class) and the type of line (braid/mono) Some knots are better at big thick mono than in thin braid, and vice versa.

Archived