Coochie tailor

num_301

Hey guys

Have been wanting to try targeting some chopper tailor around coochie for a while now but have never got around to it as of yet.

Wana give it a crack this weekend and was wondering if you guys had any tips or tricks to share?

Have seen them come up in reports lately so there must be some around I guess.

Was planning on just using slugs. But has anyone been successful on soft plastics?

Cheers scott

if you're after a different method to slugs chuck out topwater lures. Tailor on topwater is the most enjoyable method hands down.

Bigger topwater lures +100mm to decrease your chances of getting snipped off is my suggestion. Walking and popping will get them.

if you're after a different method to slugs chuck out topwater lures. Tailor on topwater is the most enjoyable method hands down.

Bigger topwater lures +100mm to decrease your chances of getting snipped off is my suggestion. Walking and popping will get them.

Good advice, Henry. I was using a 50mm popper for bream (unsuccessfully) a few weeks ago and hooked a small tailor. Got busted off and the poor thing spent the next 10 minutes trying to shake the popper which looked like it pinned both upper and bottom lips. Felt a bit bad about that.

Definitely fish surface mate! I find they respond well to zman minnows worked quickly across the surface. Keep an eye out for birds and bait and the tailor shouldn't be too far away. They feed right up into the shallows as well, so keep that in mind if there are a few nervous bait fish in 1m or less water

Hey guys thought I'd just do a quick review of the coochie session I had on the weekend.

I went out Saturday in the afternoon searching for tailor around the southern bay islands in my Tinnie with Chris (miller 197)

We launched at about 3 down at vici point with the intention to hunt tailor whilst it was still light then try for some snapper around sunset.

We chased a few birds around for a while, sending slugs soft plastics and surface lures where they where feeding but after a few casts we realised there where nothing but baitfish there.

So as it was getting dark we decided to go find a bit of bottom structure and hunt some snapper.

Finally success. After an uneventful tailor session we where stoked we where finally hearing our drags going.

First with a few under the limit. Then me and Chris both cracked the 38 mark with the biggest going 42.

Was a great afternoon out and finished with a great feed of snapper. Will deffinatly be going to coochie again.

post-12287-144599050397_thumb.jpg

post-12287-144599050409_thumb.jpg

post-12287-144599050418_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I used slugs many time. I've caught catfish on them. Try to catch them in beer. Just put a paper plate filled with beer outside in area were slugs frequent. The slugs climb inside and drown in the beer. Alcohol in the beer cleans some of the slime off. This helps the beer soak into the slug. It will works for sure. ïŠ

I used slugs many time. I've caught catfish on them. Try to catch them in beer. Just put a paper plate filled with beer outside in area were slugs frequent. The slugs climb inside and drown in the beer. Alcohol in the beer cleans some of the slime off. This helps the beer soak into the slug. It will works for sure. ïŠ

I think he may be referring to the slugs of the metal, baitfish imitation variety bud...interesting method for catching the slimy kind nonetheless?

Archived