Forktail Catfish in NPD

fenelious

I caught a couple of Forkies at NPD the other day, the same day Ray and Dino got quite a few as well. The big one in the photo is the biggest I've caught (not the biggest I've seen caught), I didn't bother measuring him though. Funny thing; after I caught him I pulled the hook out and chucked it over the side of the yak, while I finished stuffing around. Next thing I know the rod twitches and I've got another fish on the same hook (lucky I put the rod in the holder!).... - but I didn't re-bait the hook!! I'm still fairly certain that there wasn't any shrimp left on the hook when I pulled it out of the first fish and chucked it overboard, but I COULD be wrong, am I going insane?! I know one thing - there was a heap of fish slime all over the line near the hook.... maybe the second fish ate it cos of that???

post-4887-144599053533_thumb.jpg

Anyway, the main reason I wrote was because after I got these 2, I was wondering what I should do with them. I know we all don't want too many Forkies in NPD, but I also know they aren't declared a pest species and ARE native. I thought about cutting their throats, but in the end I just let them go unharmed. What are peoples thoughts on this? Do you kill em or let em go?

-Steve.

By the way, I also got 3 good Bass for the session :)

I usually euthanise them in NPD. Knife through the top of the head, nice and quick.

Bit hard to do in a yak, I'd probably just release them if I caught them in the yak.

If I'm going to release them dont let them anywhere near my boat or gear, they just slime everything, I usually let them have the hook.

I ever so gently stick the knife into thier upper belly and ever so gently rip the blxxdy knife right down to thier asshole a couple of times then send them to the bottom for the redclaw. Please do not throw them back to breed. Same should be done to the asshole that put them in there, as we never had any up to a few years back.

Dino

Steve do you mean that they are a native fish or native to the dam.

I do not believe that they are native to the dam as the first recorded capture was aprox 5 years ago .

My opinion is that they were introduced and as such should be treated the same as redclaw or barred grunter in other dams and not returned to the water.

I will raise the matter at the next PRFMA meeting.

Cheers

Ray

Steve do you mean that they are a native fish or native to the dam.

I do not believe that they are native to the dam as the first recorded capture was aprox 5 years ago .

My opinion is that they were introduced and as such should be treated the same as redclaw or barred grunter in other dams and not returned to the water.

I will raise the matter at the next PRFMA meeting.

Cheers

Ray

Yeah, I meant that they are a native Australian, and I'm pretty sure they're native to the Pine River catchment (the tidal waters), but I could be wrong....? I had a quick look at a distribution map for them and it goes a long way down into the NSW coast, and there was nothing on that site that said they were introduced.

Either way, I'll take all the advice on board and knife them next time.

Archived