Having a crack at the impoundment game...

Samrenny

Now first of all I'll start off by saying that in no way am I asking or expecting anyone to tell me any of their secret spots or anything of that sort, as I can't stand when people do that to me!

I've managed to convince my girlfriend to come fishing tomorrow in the tinny at either Wivenhoe or Somerset, which suits me just fine seeing as I am already abit of a freshwater fanatic. Its got a 6hp 4 stroke, electric outboard and colour sounder so should do the job, albeit slowly. The only issue is, all my freshwater expertise is up creeks and rivers in the yak, so I'll be on a heavy learning curve when it comes to impoundment fishing. Basically, I would really appreciate any tips or suggestions on fishing either of the dams, techniques/lures etc., hopefully if I can get her onto a few yellowbelly or bass it could mean a higher likelihood that fishing will be an acceptable form of a "nice day together" in future... I'm sure more than a few of you can understand that predicament... :whistle:

Cheers!

If using lures or bait your sounder will be your best friend at this time of the year.

They should be schooled up in the deeper sections towards the dam walls. When you find the schools you can drop down some blades, ice jigs or SP's to get a bite. Try different retrieve speeds to see what works on the day. Slow things down if they are not biting.

Don't catch to many otherwise you'll never get out by yourself again. :silly:

Take plenty of warm clothing, it will be brisk if the wind is as forecast.

Look for drop offs, points, channels - 6 to 8 metres of water as your starting point. Word was there was a good edge bite outh there a few weeks ago, no idea at the moment.

Archived