First time on SX40s

Dan23

Finally took my Sx40 I bought out of the packet today. Didn't take long before I score a hit from a small Taylor. Dropped it though, but was a blessing in disguise because next cast I threw it out and as soon as it hit the water smack. Something took off. Played it for a bit then air! Nice legal Taylor jumped right up out of the water! kept playing him in and landed it after a few more jumps. Awesome fun and great way to christen my lure. Few more casts and got a small stripy barb. Took the boat out during the day and couldn't get a touch on my sx40. Got a few flatties on SPs though. I also bought one for dad so he pulled it out of the packet and tied it on. First cast ever and a decent keeper sized flattie!! Then dad goes righteo second cast what'll I catch now. Sure enough, second ever cast and smack anothoer flattie!! ha ha. I think he was having more luck because he was fishing 4lb line with a 1-3kg Berkley dropshot. I was using a cheaper and heavier 3-6kg rig and wasn't getting casts as far out and hence not as much depth. Anyway a bit later dad got absolutely bricked by something that smashed his sx40 and bit it off whole! Bugger, no more sx40 and Dad'c cockiness suddenly declined. Went for a Yak this arvo and got heaps more fish on my sx40. 2 small Taylor, a flattie, a herring of all things and my first Bream on HB. Great lure and I'll be definately getting more.

The usual haunts. Brusnwick River and the canal at Ocean shores. I always clean up down here but in Brissie I always get outfished. I don't get it. Going to have an early morning yack tomorrow so hopefully some more action! It's actually pretty quiet down here fish wise. Not that much action and very little interest in baits. Having to work a bit harder for fish today but they're there if you work them out. (and use premium imported lures)

Oh yeah Angus, I got another flattie on one of those small baitfish looking Team Diawa SPs you dropped in my letterbox. I only have one left now because when you use them they get torn up. How could I go about getting more??

Yeah, I finally gave in to the dark side. It's almost cheating with these things though. They catch fish even when you just crank it back. But more hit come with small jerks. Was really happy to get a Bream, I've been trying to get one with sprogs for ages but just can't do it.

I will take you if you buy a light spin outfit. No point in coming here with heavy gear. I'm fishing 8lb braid and 8lb Fluro. Once you go to the mouth of the bruns though you need to go down to 4lb or 2lb. Water is too clear. I lost my Sx40 to a big Ray. Tried for a while to land him but gave up. Bugger. Gonna hit motackle.com I think. My dad is gonna buy more too. I got 17 fish on that lure in a day and a bit of fishing. 2 Trevelly, 2 bream, 7 Taylor, 3 flathead, 1 Herring and a few stripy barbs.

Tim a wrote:

Good on ya! I remember last summer holidays when I started nailing fish on them, some of my happiest fishing times ever!!! what colour are you using? (unless its a secret)

No secret, I think it's 308, the silvery mullet looking colour that is slightly translucent. Seems to be more effective with low light, dawn, dusk and overcast. Once the Sun comes out it doesn't do as well.

Cowfish13 wrote:

Dan, is this the one?

I have never caught a fish on that one sadly. I will have to try it during the times and conditions that you mentioned

[img size=241]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/SX40_308.jpg

Yep that's it. Plus the one my dad used was almost the same but a bit more pink to it. Can't remember the colour.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

ur not on the water dan? i thought u have been catching a flattie and a jack

Not sure what you mean? I went for a paddle this morning 6am-10:30 the again around midday but no luck on second trip. Hooked one fish on a Gvibe but dropped it. I'll add some photos and stuff when I get back to Brisbane and a bit of a story about this morning. I have the photos on my phone so I'll download them when I get home. Leaving soon. With Indy traffic I probably won't be home till late.

Archived