Stanly, 21.10.07

Ash

Well, I am knackered! Who ever thinks fishing is a boring pastime, full of laid back moments should come out with us sometime!

Myself, Angus, Stu and Plastic and and left my place at 330am this morning. After some erratic driving, due to me not having my glasses and nearly missing turn offs etc, we arrived at our first fishing spot. This was the one that Jimmy took me to last time and where i got the monster cattie! Everything was looking good, lots of surface action, good weather and beatuful rock cliffs. After a slow start, Stu was onto his first Yella for the day. Nicely taken within spittin distance of the rocks. After a few happy snaps, the yella was release for next time. Things went a bit slow for while untill I managed to entice one out of the rocks to attack my lure. Not the biggest of the yella's, but he put in a good fight anyway. More happy snaps then released as well. Things just died from there, with only a few love taps over the next hour or so. We didnt even catch a cattie! Which was odd considering the location.

Off we went then to the Stanly. The boys switched to spinners, which seemed to be the way to go. Plastic man was first on, but got snapped off by a monster that'd been hanging out under a horizintal tree.! \"Oh blast it all!\" is what I think he said,;) , well, kind of anyway! At nearky the same time Stu was on and wangled a very decent yella from the timbers. After this, i was kinda left alone as I couldnt help but throw a spinner at every piece of wood and the water, and there was a lot of wood! I managed another yella from some close stumps, some more piccies and smiles. I'll let the other boys tell the tale from there side after this. As i said they kept on walking and fishing the banks and soon raced away in front of me. I do know there were more yellas, some snakes, barbed wire and spiky plants involved!

When i did catch up to them, i hooked upto a very decent yalla, he hit about 3 foot from shore in about 1 1/2 ft of water, and snapped my line! Right in front of me! I'll let the boys talk about there catches from here, I know stu landed another 2, and so did Plastic man.

After a few more casts we had a long, very long walk back to the cars. I dont think we realised how far we'd walked!

Anyway, off to DeadCow Paddock! After getting the gear ready everybody was quick to to get a cast in. I practically ran to the tree that had the cod that smashed me last time. First cast, othing, second, nothinhg, third Bang! Nearly crapped myself with excitement before i realised this wasnt the same fish that smashed me last! Quick struggle, and a very nice yella!

Nothing else from there, but good looking snags and no love.

All up:

Ash=3 x yella:P , 1 bust off:(

Plastic man=2x yella:P 1 big bust off:angry:

Stu=3 x yella:P

Angus: Well Angus had a Terry of a day. Doing all the right things in all the right places, with all the right gear, but the fished snubbed him. However I know he enjoyed the day anyway. Next time he'll cain it!

All in all, an awesome day again, good fishing, company and scenery. [img size=317]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Yella_closeup.JPG

post-81-14459842982_thumb.jpg

Bloody oath mate it was an awesome day.

I know i didnt catch anything, but watching so many fish caught, running from snakes, starling rabbits and nearly running over Deer made sure it was all very entertaining!

Ill attach a few pic for everyone.

Well done boys, i am not even that jealous it was awesome to be there.

Angus

Picture: Stu's first and the biggest for the day at 55cm. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1-985e544f6149820090bf94bb64e55900.jpg

post-63-14459842983_thumb.jpg

This was one that i got when i ran off by myself

Was a great day had by all thanks to angus and ash for showing us their great spot karama to both (when i reload) man some funny stuff happend today ill let stu tell you guys about his run in with the snake once again thanks for the aewsome days fishing oh and ash i only got 2 and 1 bust off stu got 3

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/yellobelly_001_AFO.jpg

post-1029-144598429853_thumb.jpg

Yeah great river to fish had good fun plenty of good structure to cast at lost a few spinnerbaits but got 3 yellas so not to bad the worst part was cutting across the long grass and all the stinging nettle saw a black snake couple of feet away so I piss bolted tripped over landing straight into the stinging nettle got back up real quick and kept running till I got to the bank was then we saw another brown snake cutting across the water and up a bank:laugh:

here is my first yella [img size=499]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/015_AFO.jpg

post-1103-144598429856_thumb.jpg

nope. We weren't really sure where we could fish or where we couldn't, there was a big sign on the road going along the good looking side of the river saying no fishing, and all the land on the banks was marked private property.

We ended up giving up ( after spending a couple of hours looking for you guys, scouting for spots probably ended up only just missing you if you got there around 7:30) and we headed over to bribie and then to NPD. No success at either place.

Sets a pretty ordinary precident for my first AFO trip when nobody else shows up ... hopefully next time we can coordinate things a bit better, I should have gotten mobile phone numbers off people first.

username_taken wrote:

nope. We weren't really sure where we could fish or where we couldn't, there was a big sign on the road going along the good looking side of the river saying no fishing, and all the land on the banks was marked private property.

We ended up giving up ( after spending a couple of hours looking for you guys, scouting for spots probably ended up only just missing you if you got there around 7:30) and we headed over to bribie and then to NPD. No success at either place.

Sets a pretty ordinary precident for my first AFO trip when nobody else shows up ... hopefully next time we can coordinate things a bit better, I should have gotten mobile phone numbers off people first.

Sorry man. Numbers would have been a good idea. Once we were walking along the banks it would have been hard to see anyone with all the winding bits etc.

STU wrote:

Yeah great river to fish had good fun plenty of good structure to cast at lost a few spinnerbaits but got 3 yellas so not to bad the worst part was cutting across the long grass and all the stinging nettle saw a black snake couple of feet away so I piss bolted tripped over landing straight into the stinging nettle got back up real quick and kept running till I got to the bank was then we saw another brown snake cutting across the water and up a bank:laugh:

here is my first yella [img size=499]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/015_AFO.jpg

I wish i had taken a photo and your and Andrews face after the deer :P

Angus

Nice report guys B)

i have been out of action for quite a while now and i would like to give freshwater fishing a go either at North Pine or Stanley River in the coming weeks. Just wondering where abouts was your location on the river (without being to precise) around the top of Somerset near villeneuve or more towards Woodford?

Kind regards Gordo

Mate no worries.

I think the road was called Nerum Road. You will drive over a bridge and you cant miss the water below you. There is an old bridge there. Flick around teh timber around and the actual pilons of the old bridge. The yellas hang right in close to them. Dont go to far either way though as im pretty sure its private property.

Angus

Angus wrote:

STU wrote:

I wish i had taken a photo and your and Andrews face after the deer :P

Angus

Those deer where huge ( cows with anterlers )lucky they did not hit my new car.

Archived