Fishing 1770 over Easter

max pwr

Hi guys, I bought the boy and the boat up to 1770 for a week. I'm lucky my mum has an apartment on the beach and owns some industrial sheds just out of town to store my boat safely so accommodation is comfortable, secure and best of all it's free!

I've not taken my boat offshore in the past but have taken it in the bay every week the last few months, averaging prob 100+ Kms a trip and in some average weather at times so I've gotten a good feel for its handling and fuel consumption etc.

Sunday was my first offshore trip and I set off at 3am for Fitzroy reef, planning on going past the reef and fishing 60-80m of water for reds and trout. I wanted to catch my first red but was more keen to catch trout cos I've loved them since I was a kid.

Anyway I had a bunch of big tiger squid heads I'd frozen a month or so ago, stopped on a mark prob halfway to Fitzroy and first drop pulled up a nice spangled emporer ( I think that's what it is ) chucked in the esky, pulled up a few more straight away and kept one more of the bigger ones.

I decided to move on toward Fitzroy after 10 minutes or so and about an hour later I was going just south of the reef in about 20 metres of water and my sounder lit up like crazy!

I dropped some baits and caught a whole bunch of chinamen one after another, most were 40-55cm and looked like great fish but as they were no take I threw them all back.

Then I decided to rip out my micro jigs I got from Tactical Fishing and got a legal trout straight away! Every single drop I was pulling up a fish! I don't know how I'm ever going to fish the bay again, it's unreal up here!!

I didn't make it past Fitzroy in the end, had a blast catching Trout one after another, lots more chinamen and lots of bright orange undersized cod

post-5844-144599103479_thumb.jpg

Sunday arvo I went to the tackle shop and got to talking bout the chinamen I was catching and throwing back and turns out they weren't chinamen at all, they were red throat emporer, :(

He nearly died laughing at me and said the size I was getting were awesome table fish! I felt like a real goose!

Monday I took the boy and my parents into Fitzroy reef to snorkel for the day. It was amazing! I caught one small legal trout and saw the biggest bloody crayfish I've ever seen but I couldn't pull it out of its hole.

Tuesday morning I decided to go back out and get some Red throats now I knew what they were and where they were.

They weren't as big as I got on Sundsy but I kept six for a feed, threw prob 30 legal ones back and had s blast once again pulling in fish after fish on my plastic rod....so much fun!

By 10:30 I was knackerrd from getting up early three days in a row and driving all the way to the reef and started heading back.

After half an hour or so I started getting a second wind and passed over a nice bit of structure and had a drop, on the first retrieve something started peeling off line and I pulled a mackerel bout a metre long right up next to the boat, it just let me feel it in and hung ghete for a second, I grabbed my gaff and it just shook its head and bit me off. Oh well.

Another few drifts and I pulled up two barred grunter bout 50cm I think they got pushed offshore by all the rain.

I hooked something really big and heavy but got busted off and then last drift I got a nice coral trout.

post-5844-144599103488_thumb.jpg

Well that's it for fishing, the wind has picked up a bit and the rest of the holiday is going to be spent st the surf club next door and in the pool.

I will be keeping an eye on the weather from now on and making the trip up here even just for an overnighter......,,definitely worth the drive.

I was looking forward to see how your trip went and getting 3 good days weather wise was a bonus.

Your Mum could make some extra money from members if she wanted to hire a shed out for safe storage which always seems to be a problem ;)

Being more of lure person and seeing the Coral Trout are partial to the micro jigs it looks just the place to go. Trouble is I keep stopping at Hervey Bay and have not explored any further. :whistle:

In real time how long does it take towing the boat up 6hrs? A long weekend might be on the cards shortly.

Glad you had a good time and bought home a nice feed.

Yeah Wayne, it took me pretty much on 6 hours to get here. I always leave about 3am and even on public holidays never see any traffic.

I know there's a lot of mackerel around and I saw plenty of bust ups but I focused on fish that I can't get in Moreton bay.

Yesterday and today look fine to go out as well but I've got enough fish in the freezer and had my fun.

Awesome trip man! Good you got out twice. I didn't head up in the end as the weather was too random to justify the $$$ you always spend on a trip like this.

Get any over nighters in? What were the conditions like, rain or windy? Boat traffic?

Hi Julian, I was looking out for your report mate.

Conditions were excellent mate, small chop occasionally and got a little rain for 10 minutes on Tuesday out there.

Most of the time I managed 50kph, had to slow down to 30 a couple times.

Out of all the weather sites I've found windfinder by far the most accurate. Next time I come up I'll spend a night in Fitzroy lagoon...... Fish the morning then have a bbq lunch and snorkel the arvo and plenty beers.

Paradise.

Hi Julian, I was looking out for your report mate.

Conditions were excellent mate, small chop occasionally and got a little rain for 10 minutes on Tuesday out there.

Most of the time I managed 50kph, had to slow down to 30 a couple times.

Out of all the weather sites I've found windfinder by far the most accurate. Next time I come up I'll spend a night in Fitzroy lagoon...... Fish the morning then have a bbq lunch and snorkel the arvo and plenty beers.

Paradise.

Good news on conditions. Seabreeze and Bom were wrong all weekend. I headed to the shelf on Saturday and as we were passing the cape they put out a report saying 10knts, but it was more like 15knts. They said conditions would improve but they didn't till late. coming in at 8PM was a breeze though.

When we get the next clear patch of weather I'll be up. :) I'll put up a notice on here and we may be able to get a few of us in big boats out there. I fish way more north then Fitzroy, but am happy to do a raft up one night in the lagoon with folks.

Yup,you are a goose,lmfao.

Well done mate,that's an awesome trip you had for your first one out on the outer reefs.

It sure is paradise up there and the fishing can be amazing at times.

We launched from Bunday 2 weeks ago and fished around Musgrave Island,that was an awesome trip for us.

As Julian said, we will have to try and all get up there together for a 3 day trip out to the reefs.

Nice one Steve, plenty of tasty fish there and sounds like you had a ball catching them. I was talking to my brothers over Easter about the different places we need to take Dad's boat (have decided to keep it after all ....) and 1770 is detinitely on the hit list.

Let me know if you catch any chinamen fish in the bay - I'll happily pick them up as I don't seem to be affected by them ......... :P

Archived