Barwon Banks yesterday was sick!

Luvit

The weather looked so good yesterday that Ellicat (Brian) and myself headed out to the banks. After next to no sleep Brian and I were texting each other at 1am because we were both up. We launched at Mooloolaba 4am and headed into the darkness being a new moon. 2 hrs latter we arrived at the banks and saw a good show of fish on the sounder. Quickly I dropped down a micro jig to see what was there. 2 lifts of the rod and I was on :woohoo: a few seconds later the fish and jig was gone, cut off at the jig. This was to set the tone for the day.

Brian was not feeling the best and soon after we stopped despite taking seasick pills the Ralph god got hold him :sick: . Unfortunately after taking a day off work, preparations and spending 2 hrs getting to the spot it was not feasible to drop him back to shore. To his credit he stuck it out without a word of complaint and did what he cold to help when needed.

I was trying a few different techniques, one rod had a soft plastic on it, one a floating bait and I was jigging between 2 jig set ups.

All techniques were working with bait catching the most and the SP and jigging accounting the large fish.

We didn't take many photos with Brian's conditions so a bit lite on for photo's.

What an aray of speices, mosses perch, squire, tusk fish, trigger fish, trevally, AJ, mack tuna and many bite and bust off's. Some sort of mackerel were nipping off a few of my jigs, but the 2 I landed soon become fresh bait. (revenge)

I also caught my first coral trout :woohoo: only 8 inches long but, I'll take it as another species. Brian got a picture on his phone he may post later.

The weather improved through the day and we heard a whale approaching and by the time I got to the camera in the cabin it had passed under the boat and surfaced with its calf. If you look to the bottom of the photo you can see mum underneath covered in barnacles.

post-11868-144599117867_thumb.jpg

I think I lost around 10 jigs for the day. Lost them on fish breaking me off and 3 to the reef.

It was a little strange with a few of the fish being on for a few minutes before the break off,. 40lb leader.

One of the highlights was fast jigging a knife jig in 35m of water and having 6 good AJ's follow the lure to the boat before one grabbed it at the boat and headed for home testing the drag and the leader. I got him up mid water twice but finally he must have made it to the bottom because another bust off.

I landed a smaller AJ that Brian has a photo of.

The floater went off and was a nice trevally.

post-11868-144599117873_thumb.jpg

Finally we headed for home around 3.30pm a long day when you feeling sick. :pinch:

Oh yeah we saw a free swimming hammer head shark on the way home as well.

It was not a productive day in fish in the Esky stakes but had a lot of fun. Unfortunately Brian not so much.

Home and in bed by 7.30pm and the body is feeling it today.

Luvit.

I am assuming from the mack family.

A big eye and mouth full of teeth grey in color with no patterns. All about the same size 50cm. Have caught them before.

If I'd turned back and spent another 2 hrs travel to drop him off and then back out I would have ran out of fuel and no time to fish.

4 people I have had offshore and 3 have spewed and 1 that felt ordinary all day. Must be the boat or me that makes them sick.

Thanks it looks better on paper than real life. It was good day but the mosses, tusk fish were size but only just and not worth taking IMO.

I have only fished the banks 3 times and this is the first CT I have caught.

They must be fairly common, I see on the Noosa reports of CT being caught regularly on the charters.

I give you call when next time I'm heading out there.

That's a coral cod not a trout.

And a high fin amberjack - they fight hard and taste better than stocko AJ's.

Hit me up next time you're heading out Wayne, I have a "fishing day" up my sleeve from the public holiday last week so mid-week is good as.

And as far as I'm concerned Ralph is a character on the Simpsons and that's it. Not like Brianna... :P

They fight dam hard Beno.

I heard that AJ's were not the best fish to eat and is why I let it go. I'll try one next time.

Can you explain what the difference is between the coral trout and the cod as I couldn't find much on the quick search I did?

I don't think I can afford another rod if you come out :lol:

In 5 weeks my wife goes away for 4 weeks so a mid week trip will be out for a month. Probably wont be doing a mid week for the next 4 weeks where I hope to head to 1770 for a couple of day if weather permits.

We will get out, just could be a while at the moment.

Archived