Offshore snapper set ups!

ryno1983

Hey Guys,

Im wanting to start heading offshore chasing snapper. Bought a GPS and sounder now i need to work on the gear. Im wanting to get an outfit to flick slugs and float pillies and an outfit for bottom bashing and trailing. Will spend the $$$ to get good gear.

Could anyone suggest size of rod and reel and what brands you would run with on both.

Thanks for the help guys.

yes bottom bashing and trolling. I went into tackle world and for a float setup i liked the okuma 6500 and shimano 6500 reels $200 and a grand wave Diawa rod 7ft 15-30 pound $200. For bottom bashing and trolling a pen cenator combo for $350. What do you guys think any suggestions?

Shimano BTR 6500 is the weapon of choice for quite a lot of snapper fishos.

Especially floating baits down burley trails and using livies. Although a heavy reel, it can still be used for casting, but does not have a high speed retrieve like some spinners. Most common rod to match would be a 6-10kg 7ft6 rod, but some people prefer 10-15 kg, depends on your preference ( and budget ).

Bottom bashing favourite of the masses are the Shimano TLD range, tuff as and not too hard on the pocket.

A lot of people try to get both applications from the one outfit, but almost always you end up compromising on either one or both uses.

Happy hunting, it pays to shop around for prices and hit the sales when they come around.

Rocket

And also use 10% price matches at Anaconda, But go and see PlasticMan at Tackleworld, he'll

give a good price to afo members.

I have to agree on a Tld25 for Bottom bashing and Trolling. I also like the 6500 size pfluegers, Schultzy reccomends them and uses them to catch anything from snapper, tuna to Barra and best of all they are around $135 Match that with some 20 or 30lb Braid on a 6-10 or 8-12(My preference)6ft6-7ft6 rod and u'll be rite.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Though still a little confused could you clear up a few things for me.

1. Are overheads better for trolling and bottom bashing compared to spin? What are your preferences?

2. In saying that would you suggest to get a spin okuma eclipz 90 or a TLD 25 or TLD 20?

3. 7ft i can get a grand wave diawa rod 12-20 pounds for float fishing. What size for bottom bashing and trolling.

Thanks alot guys for the help!

:) OK this is what I use and I find it very versatile. I have a Berkley Cherrywood Boat 60 ( I guess the 60 stands for 6'?), 8-12kg line class. Matched with a Okuma Force FES 580 6.3:1 fast retrive. I use 30lb braid and can cast a good distance with a metal slug 40. But I also bottom bounce and float baits all the time. It's been a great set up and only cost me around $130:woohoo: I mainly got it to fish for Jew and Tuna, but I use it whenever I go fishing:blush:

Good luck :P

Jayson

Probably better for bottom bashing. The floater should be 7ft or 7ft6 and the B Basher 6ft6 I would put the tld 25 on a Wilson Live Fibre 6ft6 6-10kg 6-10kg. $197 from Motackle
/>http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=1289

I would try and feel the rod with both the 20 and 25 size reels on go with the one that feels better.

i would have to say that a 6500 bait runner for soaking baits /cubing/floating pillies then a tld 25 or better still a 2 spd for offshore ie 30metres of water great for bottom bashing or trolling bigger lures and finnaly buy a very fast retrieve ratio reel for chucking slugs and leave it set up as such and nice and grabable too i love the good old silstar power tip rods but it looks like everyone makes one the same these days just remember keep it short for leverage for bottom bashing and long for casting slugs and about 6/7 is good around the boat for the bait runner which you will get more use out of than the rest put together good luck and happy fishing

Also Fisher 90, i do like the Wilson live fibre 6-10kg with the TLD 25 for trolling and bottom bashing.

Regarding the float and flicking rod. What do you think of the grand wave diawa rods? They only come in 7ft though do you think getting a different type in 7ft6 is better, with the tss4. What difference really does 6inches make? If so what type would you recommend.

Thanks for your advice mate. Karma

while the tss4 is a good reel, if u intend of jigging plastics a fair bit there rather wobbly and big.

im also not much of a fan of the drag on them as the adjustment is not very precise.

as plastics seem to be more the go now, a smaller higher quality and more expensive model such as a diawa sol 3000 would be my choice.

Archived