Travelling with Firearms over Holidays

Gad

Taken from SSAA December 2015 email newsletter

Going hunting/shooting over the holiday period. Do you know your state`s and if going interstate that state`s regulations for travelling with firearms

There have been a number of occasions where SSAA members have experienced a brush with the law while travelling with firearms. We hope to explain the legal requirements when transporting firearms in your state or territory and what rights you have, if any. So the question is: What do I have to do to be within the law regarding the way I transport my firearms to and from the shooting range, hunting trip or the gunshop?

Article`s full details: http://ssaa.org.au/news-resources/firearms-industry/a-state-by-state-look-at-travelling-with-firearms

Yes Andrew, times and society have changed and not for the better. I did my schooling years and apprenticeship in Bundaberg in the 60`s early 70`s, most people did not lock the back door when they went out, in summer one could leave the windows down in the unlocked car when you went into town shopping and everything left in it, was there when you went back, it was virtually unheard of to have locks on your tool box in the back of the ute.

Adhd, add and medicated kids didn`t seem to exist in those days, a size 12 boot in the behind or a clip across the ear was usually only fine tuning required and no little darling was holding a bill of rights at birth.

Yep, the times they have changed.

The old man just swapped from a lockable Metal Box that was fixed to the back/boot of his Landcruiser wagon, to a small single lockable hard plastic case for his 30-30 that he plans to lock to the vehicle (hook on the floor of the boot, for the fold down rear seats), and cover in such a way that it is not visible from the outside of the vehicle.

We are in QLD.

According to that information, we should be fine, correct? Specifically: 

"or the firearm is in a securely closed container that is out of sight in the vehicle."

28 minutes ago, Alexx said:

According to that information, we should be fine, correct? Specifically: 

"or the firearm is in a securely closed container that is out of sight in the vehicle."

Hi Alexx, it all depends on what 'a securely closed container' is interpreted as, eg: is a hard plastic container easy to be broken into?

My guess would be, stashed out of sight, in a locked vehicle it`s ok, until a police officer declares it`s not.

I do not imagine too many people would have a complete vehicle check done, while travelling, but to be sure, ring the local police station and check, better to be sure than get hit with a gun infringement 

The hard case is heavy gauge plastic compound secured by 4 bar locks and then  further secured with an additional keypad lock.

Just now, Gad said:

...depends on what 'a securely closed container' is interpreted as...ring the local police station and check...

Therein lies the issue. All acts are open to interpretation, specifically by the inspecting officer of the law. We have tried calling local authorities to check, who are more than happy to chat about it, but when asked to provide what was discussed in writing nearly always decline. And understandably too as to avoid accountability in the event their statements are wrong or used out of context.

The problem is when driving fence lines to check there are no breaks and that no cattle are out,  you run into a drove of pigs digging up small crops and breaking the bottom line of the barbed wire fences, and it takes way too long to retrieve the firearm from its secure location in the car. By the time you are ready, the offending suidae are gone.

But like you said, do what you can to avoid a gun infringement...

11 minutes ago, Alexx said:

The hard case is heavy gauge plastic compound secured by 4 bar locks and then  further secured with an additional keypad lock.

Therein lies the issue. All acts are open to interpretation, specifically by the inspecting officer of the law. We have tried calling local authorities to check, who are more than happy to chat about it, but when asked to provide what was discussed in writing nearly always decline. And understandably too as to avoid accountability in the event their statements are wrong or used out of context.

The problem is when driving fence lines to check there are no breaks and that no cattle are out,  you run into a drove of pigs digging up small crops and breaking the bottom line of the barbed wire fences, and it takes way too long to retrieve the firearm from its secure location in the car. By the time you are ready, the offending suidae are gone.

But like you said, do what you can to avoid a gun infringement...

I would have thought that if travelling around on your own property then you would not need the bolt and rifle separated?

15 minutes ago, christophagus said:

I would have thought that if travelling around on your own property then you would not need the bolt and rifle separated?

Our property(ies) are truncated and separated by local rural roads, which being so close to the area's most popular watering hole for most locals', are patrolled a lot more regularly than the average rural road. 

We have also had a lot of issues with piggers trespassing for hunting, with the odd carbon arrow with some pretty messed up complex tips, found in the same paddocks as our cattle. So ( in this case thankfully) the local authorities have also been doing regular patrols for these people/offenders.

19 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

It seems times have changed that's for sure. Sorry to be off topic, but I agree with you there Gad. I reckon most cases of ADD and ADHD are bull$hit. Feed your kids healthy real food, give them boundaries/discipline and limit screen time and surprise surprise your child probably wont have ADHD.

I do not want to go further off topic but it thought it worth weighing in as someone that works with children everyday.

I have met a lot of children who I believe are misdiagnosed with ADHD. However I am meeting more and more that have a very legitimate, very real chemical imbalance that, no offence, a smack will not fix because they cannot grasp the reason for the smack. The difference working with these children when medicated vs when not is undeniable. Even the clarity in their eyes is profoundly different. Now I do not at all proscribe to leniency on them at all either as they are at school to integrate.

There are 1000 theories on why this was not as prevalent in the "good old days" but all I ever ask is what has changed? 

I have little doubt it is largely due to to the chemicals we are pumping into children's bodies both directly (feeding them preservative loaded, color loaded, artificial loaded rubbish) and indirectly in the form of what parents eat and drink (and for that matter breath etc) and altering their own genetic purity and passing it on to a receptive fetus. I am always dumbfounded with skeptics on this matter as how POSSIBLY is pumping this stuff into ourselves NOT meant to have some ultimate effect.

Combine this with the insane need for screen time. I am not talking about a desire to use tech, but an addiction. I have banned technology altogether in my service to promote outdoor and constructive play. However you should see the worst case scenarios on arrival. The way they sit and tap their feet and hands I can only compare to someone REALLY needing a ciggy. To make matters worse, while other children are having a ball around them doing other things they have been seemingly rendered incapable of joining in through social interaction. Screen time I think accounts a lot to those misdiagnosed sufferers of ADHD who do not actually have a chemical imbalance, but have simply had the ability to interact socially burnt out of them.

For the record a study done on Thai, Laotian and Vietnamese hill tribes who eat from the land, have no technology to speak of and live active lives by default show minimal presence of special needs and the ones that are evident are usually recessive gene based (down syndrome etc).

Anyway I do not want to get preachy but I feel the need to voice my opinion as my reasonably well researched and observationally derived opinion is that things are going to get a lot worse before it gets better.  It is like obesity. We all know it exists rampantly. We all know the health issues, the cost to our health system etc. But every fast food venue still booms. How much genetic degradation must occur before we pull our heads in to curb the issue, or will it be a case of being so far gone we will have no choice but to confront it.

To be honest, the damage to those legitimately affected people has already been done. But with a website here full of young people who may be yet to have their own families I think these sentiments are worth considering. Agree with them or do not, but consider them. 

My only advice is to limit screen time, do not pump them full of junk and make it sustainable. By sustainable I mean there is always a time for a treat or reward, but don't , make it the norm.

Sorry for the rant!

Angus 

Well said @Angus, my opinion stems from the little experience I have had working with kids compared to you, but its good to know that I'm not the only 'crazy' one who is of similar view. In the year and a half that I did work with kids in the Active After School program it seemed a strange coincidence that the kids with 'problems' were the ones who were eating garbage and the best behaved kids were the ones eating real food. Obviously there is a lot more to it than that but it was hard not to observe and put two and two together.  It is an area my mum has self studied in and written books about so I guess my opinion comes from her as well.

Oh yeah, lock your guns up at Christmas everyone :P (stayed on topic, see).

Hi Angus, thanks for  coming in… rant! nah…as far as off topic goes, nah… I threw it out there in the first place, and I have never lived in a glasshouse.   

This year my lady marked 25 years as a home based Family Daycare Provider, in that time  many children 6months to 12/13years from many ethnic backgrounds and quite a few with special/ extra individual needs, have come and gone through our front door.

Along with my lady`s work, for many years we were heavily involved with junior  rugby league, swimming clubs and gymnastics, and yes,……{ “However I am meeting more and more that have a very legitimate, very real chemical imbalance”,}……. it will continue to be so.

I am in agreement with your view about chemical imbalances, for over 30 years I have voiced my opinion regarding herbicides, insecticides/pesticides, additives, preservatives etc etc, along our food chain. If memory serves me well, somewhere in the bowels of this forum, some former members (hi girls :)) posted to tell me that I was practicing self abuse, where this topic was concerned.

As far as {‘the good old days’}. they were only the good old days for those of us now retired or near retirement age, that`s because our memories  skip over the not so good days of the good old days..:D

{‘I can only compare to someone REALLY needing a ciggy’}… I`m not sure where ellicat comes into this… is he trying to give up the fags again?  :lol:

PS…re family daycare (this was my lady`s ‘career change’ after years in the education department working with severely and profoundly handicapped and intellectually disabled children/teens)    from my view, it was  like leaving the tigers den to go over and enter the lions den :)

On 22/12/2015 at 8:12 AM, Angus said:

I do not want to go further off topic but it thought it worth weighing in as someone that works with children everyday.

I have met a lot of children who I believe are misdiagnosed with ADHD. However I am meeting more and more that have a very legitimate, very real chemical imbalance that, no offence, a smack will not fix because they cannot grasp the reason for the smack. The difference working with these children when medicated vs when not is undeniable. Even the clarity in their eyes is profoundly different. Now I do not at all proscribe to leniency on them at all either as they are at school to integrate.

There are 1000 theories on why this was not as prevalent in the "good old days" but all I ever ask is what has changed? 

I have little doubt it is largely due to to the chemicals we are pumping into children's bodies both directly (feeding them preservative loaded, color loaded, artificial loaded rubbish) and indirectly in the form of what parents eat and drink (and for that matter breath etc) and altering their own genetic purity and passing it on to a receptive fetus. I am always dumbfounded with skeptics on this matter as how POSSIBLY is pumping this stuff into ourselves NOT meant to have some ultimate effect.

Combine this with the insane need for screen time. I am not talking about a desire to use tech, but an addiction. I have banned technology altogether in my service to promote outdoor and constructive play. However you should see the worst case scenarios on arrival. The way they sit and tap their feet and hands I can only compare to someone REALLY needing a ciggy. To make matters worse, while other children are having a ball around them doing other things they have been seemingly rendered incapable of joining in through social interaction. Screen time I think accounts a lot to those misdiagnosed sufferers of ADHD who do not actually have a chemical imbalance, but have simply had the ability to interact socially burnt out of them.

For the record a study done on Thai, Laotian and Vietnamese hill tribes who eat from the land, have no technology to speak of and live active lives by default show minimal presence of special needs and the ones that are evident are usually recessive gene based (down syndrome etc).

Anyway I do not want to get preachy but I feel the need to voice my opinion as my reasonably well researched and observationally derived opinion is that things are going to get a lot worse before it gets better.  It is like obesity. We all know it exists rampantly. We all know the health issues, the cost to our health system etc. But every fast food venue still booms. How much genetic degradation must occur before we pull our heads in to curb the issue, or will it be a case of being so far gone we will have no choice but to confront it.

To be honest, the damage to those legitimately affected people has already been done. But with a website here full of young people who may be yet to have their own families I think these sentiments are worth considering. Agree with them or do not, but consider them. 

My only advice is to limit screen time, do not pump them full of junk and make it sustainable. By sustainable I mean there is always a time for a treat or reward, but don't , make it the norm.

Sorry for the rant!

Angus 

Very much agree with what you are saying.

If you haven't already read it, this book would be right up your alley. Cant recommend it enough...

http://www.amazon.com/Childhood-Under-Siege-Business-Children/dp/0670069078

**sorry to go off topic even further.

Archived