A bit of drama at North Pine today...

robski

More of a warning than anything else...

Today I had to contact SEQ water and the rangers office at North Pine because two fishos swam across to the little island and had some trouble getting back.

They went across to have a fish, but just barely made it; underestimating both the distance and their swimming ability. They also only had one small bottle of water and it was pretty hot today...

The ranger had to meet me at the dirt car park just up from Forgan Cove, and we drove down to the bank. I didn't initially know what what was going on because of the wind...I could just hear, ' call the rangers...call the rangers...I almost called the police and the ambos because I thought someone may have drowned, been injured or been bitten by something over there...

Worked out ok in the end; the ranger picked them up in the boat they have out there, and the two guys were pretty thankful. Not sure how long they would of had to spend out there if they hadn't seen me because there was not anyone else in sight in that area today...

STU wrote:

Thats not to far were they old or something and did they catch anything while over there

Both guys where probably mid twenties, maybe....

I think they were a bit embarrassed by the whole thing...

Offered me some lures and stuff, but of course I didn't take any. Just glad they got back in one piece...

They got oone bass..:laugh: , which I saw them catch whilst I was waiting for the ranger to come get them in the boat.

They were lucky it was you and not me, I am that deaf I would probably just have yelled back \"Quarter to Three\" !

Good on them though for realising they were in trouble and asking for help.

That is exactly the sort of situation where people try and tough it out, or dont want the authorities called because they might get fined, and people end up dead.

Onya robski. Alot of people do not realise how dangerous it is to swim in some of the freshwater dams.

A few years ago i pulled a bloke out of Boondoomba who was trapped in weed. He had been there for about half an hour and recokned he wouldnt have lasted much longer. His girlfriend had panicked and done a bunk and run off into the bush and the SES ended up being called out to find her.

I noly noticed him at the last minute and was curious what the black thing that i could see bobbing up and down in the water was.

He was that buggered he couldnt even raise his arms to assist us in lifting him in the boat.

Cheers

Ray

There was a bloke drowned in a freshwater dam a couple of weeks ago. His kids were swimming and got stuck in the mud, he went in and freed them, but got stuck himself and drowned. The combination of soft mud and weed banks make fresh water dams lethal for swimming. You can not see the weed until you are in it, then it is to late. If you are unlucky enough to stand near the edge where the mud is soft (in the water), it is often bottomless, and you just keep sinking until your head is no longer above water and your a gonna (just like the bloke the other day, water depth itself where he drowned was only about waist deep)

wow, what time was that? Kevin and I were at NPD this morning ( headed home around 10am ). As we were about to leave a couple of guys were just arriving ( not far from the island in question ) and had a brief chat to them, young guys wearing singlets. Wonder if it was them.

I had my own drama there! I left home at dark, and we arrived at NPD at day, so being a chump I left my lights on in the Forgan Cove carpark... thank god for RACQ.

I meant to say these two guys overestimated their swimming ability. I'm not sure of the distance - say 80 to 100 meters? Anyway, I remember my two mates telling me that there was a lot of weed that they came across when they did it back in January of this year.

The water just didn't look good today...it's just not worth it. Just stay on the bank. I know I've been tempted to swim across there in the past.

username_taken wrote:

wow, what time was that? Kevin and I were at NPD this morning ( headed home around 10am ). As we were about to leave a couple of guys were just arriving ( not far from the island in question ) and had a brief chat to them, young guys wearing singlets. Wonder if it was them.

I had my own drama there! I left home at dark, and we arrived at NPD at day, so being a chump I left my lights on in the Forgan Cove carpark... thank god for RACQ.

Username_taken, these could be the same guys. One of them had a singlet and the other guy was shirtless. There was a white ( caucasian) guy, and a fellow with darker skin with many tattoos on one arm.

Do they sound like the same guys?

Archived