Grand Daddy Snapper

tugger

Had an awesome morning Thursday finding some new ground and landing 1 grand daddy snapper this was around my pb of 94cm long and about 9kg he put up a great fight running hard and thumping away on the line. The weather was great offshore there was a big swell running and the bar had some big waves cracking on the banks but the channel was good to run through once offshore we loaded up with livies. Next stop was boat rock but we found it really quiet except for 1 run from a kingie on the bottom set livie this fish went hard and i turned him a couple of times before he reefed me.

Set off to have a look around when my sounder lit up this was an incredible show of bait with big arches under the bait ball so we floatlibed in to them, after a couple of small snapper and pearlies were landed i hooked the big snapper. After what seemed like a big kingie on the line as it fought all the way up we had a show of colour that was red, the red of a big snapper and a very happy fisho.20161124_100433.jpg

Went out to the waverider bouy and found the dolphin fish there and Richard caught himself a nice dollie then i dropped a livie inbtween 2 big dollies i could see and watched 1 inhale the yakka. I fought this fish for a good 10 to 15 minutes following it with the boat driving down on it just to get some line back, i got it to the boat half a dozen times only for the dollie to scream off jumping again. It was atleast 10kg or more but it tired and soon he was slowing down with the fish only meters away the line parted and i had a few choice words before getting back in to it catching a few more under size dollies.

The wind got up while we were still out there it must of been over 30knots from the east which saw the waves increase dramtically so it was time to head home my boat does well in a following sea and we were soon back inside the bar. Not many fish caught but a great day finding new ground and hooking some spectacular fish hope to see the pelagics show up soon.20161124_170016.jpg

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 8:14 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

You betchya!!  Sounds like the spotties were in the bay this week. My brother Les will be in town in early Jan and is itching to get out for a fish - bring on holidays!!  Did you get my text?

Yeah i will Today he is coming around my place this arvo

Archived