Hard Bodies Vs Soft Plastics

Dan23

ellicat wrote:

I think you've got more chance of catching a SP with a HB than you have of catching a HB with a SP.:unsure:

ha ha, I think you've missed the point of the debate there. :cheer:

To be honest I don't really think one is any better than the other and I know they both have their suitable applications. I just wanted to take a side so people would get more fired up and come up with better reasons for why one is better than the other.

That said, I'm still going to outfish Kevin using HBs he he:laugh:

I caught a small ray (40cm across) on a SP. I saw it in the shallows and cast ahead of it. It didn't get hooked in the mouth tho, it got tail wrapped. Put up an awesome fight on 6lb.

I will always be a Hard bodied lure person. I like the way I can see them wriggle with out much effort. BUT, I always use soft plastics out in the bay.

If you want to try a lure 3-4cm that you can cast, try some of these:

Smith Camion: http://motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=342

This is 32mm long and because of its fat nugget shape can cast very far. My brother can cast it 15m or so with a baitcacter (Shimano Curado)

Ecogear CK40: http://motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=245 Also fat nuggety shape and can cast very far. I can cast on my baitcaster (Pfluegar President) all the way across Shultz (25m)easily

I don't know if you will be able to, but this one might be able to be cast as well. Especially with a good baitcaster-

Zipbait Rigge or Rigge Deep (deep shown in link): http://motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=2858 This has a special weighting sysetm that allows further casting (so it says)and feels heavy in my hand. I rekon I could cast it.

The Smith Camion catch alot of Bream for me and the Zipbait is used on AFC. I have seen the CK40 in fishing mags with big Bream attached:woohoo:

Try some of these with light leader and I reckon you'll be able to catch Bream with you baitcaster gear.

Dan23 wrote:

But sting rays are a pest to me. I'd say they are a disadvantage of SPs. To make it fair you'd just make a rule. Anything with a dorsal fin.

That wouldn't work either, the number of catfish I have seen caught on hard bodies recently!

But you lot are also talking about bream, Bream are just shark bait to me! :P

Plastics and hardbodies are just more tools in the arsenal for a fisho.

I am probably using hard bodies more than soft plastics at the moment, but I started with plastics, and believe plastics are more versatile (one plastic can fish all depths, tend to snag less, heck of a lot cheaper). I find hard bodies are better when you need to run a specific depth or need a floating or suspending lure, otherwise does not really matter all that much.

Archived