Hard Bodies Vs Soft Plastics

Dan23

I'm totally converted to using Hard Bodied lures these days. It seems they really out fish soft plastics once the water warms up. Softies are still catching fish for me but no where near what Sx40s and other similar lures are. I reckon Soft Plastics would be more effective in Winter when the fish are less aggressive. Now the water is warming up everything is smashing HBs.

What's everyone else think. Are you a hard man or a softy?

You'd be surprised how many flatties take 4-6cm lures. Gvibes trolled at fast speed are awesome on flathead. I cast them out and let them sink with heaps of line out. Then I paddle as fast as I can and the fish smash them. Everyone says fish slow for flathead. If you have a lure that sinks and really bangs into the bottom you can fish it really fast and it makes the fish strike hard. They don't get to have too close a look at the lure and just smash it hard.

dan, there r a lot of differences between the two that make them suitable for different applications.

u r fishing shallow banks/flats at the moment and most of the time u can let the HB dive for say 5-10m to reach the fish. but what about in deep water like NPD? u cannot use a crankbait there because by the time the lure go to the desired water colume, it's already at ur step!

a good thing about SP is that they can be so versatile. if ur casting into a tight snag where the fish holds in and they don;t wanna move a single inch out of the snag, then crankbaits will never get u a fish.

and if u r casting into a drop-off, u will like ur lure to get to the bottom where it hit the water, not after 10m of retrieve.

and sp can sometimes match the hatch better and can be worked super slow...

Yeah dan my only ever fish on hardbody so far was a 31cm flattie caught on a sprog.. My friend caught around 15 flatties that week on sp's in the same area. Its pretty much all about keeping the lure close to the bottom for flatties they will smash just about any lure.

I still reckon if you fish Vibes correctly you'll easily out fish soft plastics. I can see how in deep water and strong currants a soft plastic would be more fishable. Just reckon overall hard bodies are much better for calling fish in. Probably why if I do use plastics I like ones with a bit of built in action like a paddle or curly tail.

Show me a soft plastic I can cast into a tight snag, leave it for 3-4 seconds and then twitch once to dive down 5cm, slow roll a shallow dive. Twitch again and dive another 10cm all while bouncing off submerged structure and not snagging up. Show me a soft plastic that I can run at a specific depth consistently. Show me a soft plastic that darts left and right erratically vibrating and rattling all the while. Show me a plastic that can be worked down then allowed to float back to the surface tantalisingly wobbling on the way up inducing stirkes from spooky fish. Show me a soft plastic that can be worked down to a depth quickly then suspend in the strike zone infinately.

now show me a HB with scent. show me a HB that can be worked in 10cm of strike zoon for 20second. show me a HB that can have ultimate realistic in super slow motion. show me a HB that is 2cm long. show me a good collection of HB for all rates of sinking/floating...ha

there r a lot of things HB cannot do. especially for claw/crab immitaion,HB just cannot be that slow

Dan23 wrote:

Don't mean to be arrogant, but I reckon SP are the fisher prices \"my first lures\" beginners toy. HBs are for true pros who want the hardest strikes.:P

mate that is being arrogant most of the fish you are getting are being trolled up you dont even have to do anything there is a art to fishing plastics you have to work your lure not just bring it in

This argument comes up a fair bit.

But in all seriouness i think its like saying Hooks Vs Sinker whats better??

They are two different things used in very different ways.

I like both equally. If im fishing a dam in my yak, hardbodies for sure. Fishing the beach or rocks, plastics. There are pretty much no hardbodies (that i would want to use)you can cast the distance from the rocks. However with plastics you can still use a 3\" model, but up your jig head weight accordingly.

Angus

Ha ha, I knew someoe would bite. Sorry just stirring about the whole fisher price thing. But I dunno why you think I troll all my fish. On the weekend I only caught about 3 fish trolling. I caught all the rest cast and retrieve. Plus when I troll I add action to the lure with the rod tip. I also watch the sounder and know the swimming depth of lures and deliberately work over likely depths and interesting submerged structure.

Dan23 wrote:

Ha ha, I knew someoe would bite. Sorry just stirring about the whole fisher price thing. But I dunno why you think I troll all my fish. On the weekend I only caught about 3 fish trolling. I caught all the rest cast and retrieve. Plus when I troll I add action to the lure with the rod tip. I also watch the sounder and know the swimming depth of lures and deliberately work over likely depths and interesting submerged structure.

Not biting. I didnt even read as far as your post and just replied :P :blush:

Yeah i get about equal number of fish trolling or casting hardbodies. Pretty much i troll from location to location, and then cast at banks or structure.

As i said, i dont favour plastics, i just have situations where i prefer them as i have situation where i prefer hardbodies :)

Angus

Angus wrote:

Dan23 wrote:

Not biting. I didnt even read as far as your post and just replied :P :blush:

Yeah i get about equal number of fish trolling or casting hardbodies. Pretty much i troll from location to location, and then cast at banks or structure.

As i said, i dont favour plastics, i just have situations where i prefer them as i have situation where i prefer hardbodies :)

Angus

Nah, I was talking about Plasticman Angus.

I do the same thing as you. Trolling is for when you are travelling. More time you have your lure in the water the more fish you catch. I have 4-5 good spots down there and I just rotate around them and troll on my way between each one. For me cast and retrieve is way more effective. The fish hold right up on the banks in the snags and trolling won't get to them.

im a hardbody lover..but then there are some fish that are too hard to get on a hardbody..like snapper..it can be done but it is easier to float a sp down to them for sure...maybe we should have a comp one day...one on bass in baroon hard v's soft and another chasing flattys hard v's soft..that would be interesting...

I think you're onto something jimmybob. But forget frashwater. I can't catch anything in freshwater with plastics or hard bodies. I reckon bream, flathead, trevelley and jacks should be the target. :laugh: But I'm naturally biased towards them because that's all I can catch.

What about the monday not next week but the week after? We need to settle this :laugh:

I just realised I took this friday through next week all the way up to the monday off on annual leave!! Didn't realise I had so much time booked. Some fish are going to be seriously harassed up at Caloundra. I might swallow my pride though and try for whiting off the beach with gulp bloodworm imitations.

Archived