Buying A Roof Topper (advice?)

JamesMac

G'day lads,

so I've finally managed to convince the boss (misses) to let me buy a boat her only rules are cheap and we can chuck it on the roof for when we go camping. 

I was was wondering if anyone has some advice or experience or knows somebody selling a topper.

im currently limited to no longer than 3m and and could go around 1500 give or take a bit in width. 

Thanks a lot lads! 

If you intend on heading far north, be aware that tides in the top end can rise and fall 9 meters. This makes for a lot of water to be moving in and out of estuary's and river systems. If your boat is under powered and loaded up you may not make any ground against a 4-5 knot running tide.

A sea rescuer told us when we fished the Kimberly region. Quite a lot of people have to be rescued because when they launch they do not understand how strong the currents are with that tidal moment. They get swept away with the current and can not get back to place of launch once they realize the trouble they are in.

Be safe.:)

I have a roof topper that I use as a creek boat, mostly for throwing the cast net and chucking in the pots. All I can say is keep it simple. Car toppers need to be light and durable. Imagine worst case scenario that you have to drag them up an almost vertical bank in a mud creek at low tide, 'cause that's what will probably happen. Mine is 3.6m and powered by a 3hp that pushes it along at around 12 knots. I could go up to 5hp, but I try and keep outside the 'registered vessel' specifics. Weight is 45kg, which is easy enough and I can load it by myself. However after an afternoon of cast netting, it often seems heavier than when I put it in. I put foldable wheels on it to make it more manageable.

Based on what I've spent, expect to pay anywhere between $1000-$1500 minimum, depending on the condition.

Archived