1770 Weekend Away

demarc

I contacted tugger last Monday with the plan if some beach camping. He informed me that 1770 was on the cards instead so plans were hatched... Tuggers boy brock was my deckie.

I left solo 7:30pm friday night to meet the rest of the boys at agnes. Rocked into town at 2am... Tried to get some shut eye but there were lots of boats in car park and even more snorers.

We launched at 4:30ish and set the auto pilot to sykes. Great trip out at 24knts. We were out in just over 2 hours. 

I made the call to head outside to chase Reds. However there was nearly 0 run. Boat was doing circles on most drifts. I then headee north towards boomy ,  but we had no current there. We found only the tuskies chewing there heads off.

We then went into the 40mtr ground for a play. However what would become our theme for the trip was sharks. Most our good fish got sharked.

Brock was the saviour on the boat with him boating the most fish. We moved into some nice 20mtr ground however the sharks followed us. Brock brought up a nice 2mtr model. We went to cut the line, but he jumped and broke the rod. grrrr.

After this the wind dropped to 0 and the heat picked right up. So we went swimming in the shallows at sykes before trying an arvo fish back in the 20mtr ground. At 3pm we anchored back in the shallows again while Tugger and co speared crays.

After a good night we were back at fishing at 5 the next day. Sharks were common again. We saw squid drifting in 40mtrs, so on all our drifts we had a squid jig out. Ended up with 4 nice squid doing this. I used the heads for bait and ended up with a 10kg chinaman fish. Gutted.

We called it a day at 12 and cruised home at a good 27knts in some lumpy conditions. 

Was a really good weekend even though there was a lack of fish in my boat.

Thanks Tugger, I couldnt have made this trip without all your help.

I am still crap at taking pics...

20170219_104353.jpg

20170219_104345.jpg

20170219_104334.jpg

8 minutes ago, Angus said:

Nice. Looking forward to seeing some fish pics.

Shame about the sharks. Get a good feed of crays?

Angus

Yup. 12 or so. Tuggers report will be picture rich! I have to get myself and point and click camera for the boat. touch phones are hard to use with fishy hands!

20 minutes ago, Fishaman said:

Bugger... Sorry to hear you didn't smash them (I was looking fwd to your report)We only went 15 nautical miles out. Only saw one shark for the day circling a school of bait.

I wasn't even going to post this. lol Tuggers report will make up for it! 

15 hours ago, demarc said:

Ended up with 4 nice squid doing this. I used the heads for bait and ended up with a 10kg chinaman fish. Gutted.

Whatttt!!!!!!! Everyone knows they are a no take species!!!!!!!!!! ................ (just joking ...... :frantics:).

Shame about the sharks mate but no doubt a great time was still had.

6 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Whatttt!!!!!!! Everyone knows they are a no take species!!!!!!!!!! ................ (just joking ...... :frantics:).

Shame about the sharks mate but no doubt a great time was still had.

Hit the nail on the head. it's awesome just being up there.

1 hour ago, Fishaman said:

Very underrated fish in my opinion. If you bleed and ice them immediately and eat them the same day they are great eating. Problem is they go mushy if you freeze them.

Just in case anyone is reading this and thinking they'll try their next chinamen caught off QLD - they are a no take species due to their levels of ciguatera. The guys over in WA can keep and eat theirs, just don't do it here.

36 minutes ago, Do$tylz said:

Just in case anyone is reading this and thinking they'll try their next chinamen caught off QLD - they are a no take species due to their levels of ciguatera. The guys over in WA can keep and eat theirs, just don't do it here.

My bad, I meant mother in law fish :no:

Archived