Shark Fishing Brisbane Area.

Drop Bear

Hi,

I was talking to Sam from PNG trip and he told me he targets Bull Sharks in and around Vic Point and it got me thinking.

Many of my friends from Melbourn catch and eat sharks and say they love them to eat. They are a large fish to catch, seem to be plentiful and if they eat well whats not to like?

I was wondering;

Why don't we eat more sharks?

Where is the best place to catch them (we don't get many at Green Island)?

What is the best bait?

What works well as a rig and what line class?

What sharks taste the best? I have had some gummy sharks that we got at Amity. One was delicious but the next one was really strongly metallic flavoured? Also are little ones better to eat? Male v Female?

I will have a look at the restrictions on size and species before I go but am really keen to do this. 

Thanks

Robbie

Mate aside from flake at the fish and chip shop I have only eaten two. Both bullies from the bay and both tasty.

I think most places in the bay have them it is just about live bait. I reckon we would get them in the harbor at night on livies.

@Do$tylz and I had a session at Wellington Point once were out moses perch were getting sharked on the retrieve.

Decent sized baits are the go as well. Legal sized bream, tailor, moses work well. 

St Helena Island is teeming with bullies so I reckon with the right bait the deeper water around green would have to have them as well.

Angus

10 minutes ago, Angus said:

I reckon we would get them in the harbor at night on livies.

That would be a fun session, I guess getting the bait would be the hardest part. I could take some whole large mullet to get started with? Perhaps we would pull out a cod or some Jacks while we were there! :)

4 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

That would be a fun session, I guess getting the bait would be the hardest part. I could take some whole large mullet to get started with? Perhaps we would pull out a cod or some Jacks while we were there! :)

Yes I think big baits would account for interesting results in there. I mean there is a decent probability those fish that did me over when I was on Rob's boat,  were bullies considering how fast the line was worn through.

to be honest mate you can catch them on any line class, as long as you have a wire trace and some heavier leader.

for 1m and under ill use a halco 60lb 20inch wire trace with a 7/0 hook, then to 1.5m of 30lb or higher mono for those tail whips. lowest main line class ive caught them on is 4lb on a 1000 sienna, super fun sport mate.

fresh water eel is the best, only need a piece about 2-4inches long. or any live (legal size) bait will do the job. Ive even caught them on dodgy frozen poddy mullet before.

it is no joke when i say that you can catch small sharks ANYWHERE! they live in every tidal system in Brisbane. even a lot of the fresh stuff haha

as for eating, the small bulls are very very tasty. just remember to cut their tail off as soon as you catch them, that's the best way to bleed them. cutting their head off will make the meat taste like rubbish.

would be more than happy to tee up a session with you to show you the ropes @Drop Bear

I think the 'gummy' sharks you've caught Robbie are actually Blind Shark, which are pretty common around the reefs of Moreton Bay (I caught one by hand at the Platypus wreck at Peel). I've never eaten them, apparently that metallic taste is quite common with them though.

I've never really killed and eaten sharks, purely for the karma element of it, but hey! it doesn't mean they wouldn't still have a go at me.

We've caught them in the Pine River, of which my mate gets heaps, all on live legal bream. Pretty easy to catch, it's just a waiting game to see what part of the tide they feed on. He doesn't keep them much either anymore as he reckons they destroy his filleting knives, and having done one once, that skin is pretty tough.

The next one I get I plan to keep, as I now have a Shark vindaloo recipe I want to try. But as Julian said, they definitely more active January to February during those hot spells.

On 2/27/2017 at 10:16 AM, christophagus said:

for 1m and under ill use a halco 60lb 20inch wire trace with a 7/0 hook, then to 1.5m of 30lb or higher mono for those tail whips. lowest main line class ive caught them on is 4lb on a 1000 sienna, super fun sport mate.

Nice tip thanks

fresh water eel is the best, only need a piece about 2-4inches long.

On 2/27/2017 at 9:07 AM, demarc said:

Fresh water eel is a killer bait.

Seems like you are both onto something. There are some dams near here that should hold them. 

as for eating, the small bulls are very very tasty. just remember to cut their tail off as soon as you catch them, that's the best way to bleed them. cutting their head off will make the meat taste like rubbish.

Awesome tip. thanks

would be more than happy to tee up a session with you to show you the ropes @Drop Bear

That would be great. 

On 2/27/2017 at 11:02 AM, Tybo said:

I think the 'gummy' sharks you've caught Robbie are actually Blind Shark

Yep that's the one thanks. I have been told they were called Gummies but should have checked with Grant's amazing Guide. Someone also called them cat sharks. I have also been told they can bite your hand if you hold them by the tail and leave a nasty graze. I think if someone pulled me out by the tail I'd have a shot too haha

On 2/27/2017 at 11:02 AM, Tybo said:

He doesn't keep them much either anymore as he reckons they destroy his filleting knives, and having done one once, that skin is pretty tough.

I have a tip for that. if you pierce the skin and turn the knife upside down and run the blade along the inside of the skin it cuts through nicely and doesn't sand the blade blunt.... as much haha. 

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:16 AM, christophagus said:

having a small meat cleaver in the shark tackle box is good for this, saves your knife blade`s edge

14 hours ago, Salt Shaker said:

All I got in the bay on Saturday were these little guys up to about 900mm on prawns. Landed 7 and got snapped off by another 7 at least. 

Baby Blind Sharks I believe. I caught a 1.6m model at the beacons on a piece of pilly and 6lb line. 

Archived