Floating method

ryno1983

Im wanting to float bait down for snapper.

I understand the rig and that the principle is cast and let your bait float to the bottow hopefully to get hit on the way down. So what happens if it doesnt get hit on the way down? Do you wind in and repeat the process again?

Thanks for the advice.

Depends how far the fish are off the bottom but the way I usually do it is let out line until I find the bottom, then tension it up and wind it up a few meters off the bottom and put the reel into free spool again. Repeat until you get smashed.

Like Rob said if your drifting there is usually no point having your bait down once your off the mark. Bring it up and redrift otherwise you will be bringing up sargent bakers and scorpion cod. Although I have caught a few nice tuskfish off what looked to be an otherwise barren bottom away from the main shows on the sounder.

another method when using braid and a spinning reel is to keep the sinker in your hand ant let out 15-20 meters of line then drop the sinker overboard and let it freespool to the bottom.then wind up a few meters and the sinker wil fall very slowly to the bottom sliding along the line toward the bait.

the weight of the sinker keeps you in touch with the almost free falling bait.when you feel a hit wind like buggery anmd strike or use circle hooks and let it come up tight.

Archived