Borumba Dam Social 12th To 14th May

tugger

Borumba Dam is the location for this next social for members and friends of AFO come along and enjoy a day or all weekend fishing and camping in these picturesque surroundings. I will be heading up early Friday and set up a camp site with a tarp big enough for plenty of chairs and tables for a community area for us, then launch my boat and set the opera house traps for some redclaw over the weekend.

These socials are a great way to put faces to names on the site and are also a good way to learn more about fishing and camping  also many long term friendships are struck up over these weekends. The dam has good bass and saratoga swimming around in it so sharpen your hooks and try out your skills on these fish and or gets some tips to target these great freshwater fish.

Saturday night we get together for a big cook up with camp ovens, rotisseries over the hot coals and bbq's producing some great tucker we all just throw in a bit of food each towards this cook up. I will be doing a chook on my rotisserie over the coals and later my world famous camp oven baked butterscotch pudding topped off with some custard for desert, I have 2 camp ovens and a rotisserie which can do 4 chooks and or small rolled roasts on the spit rod.

Bring your friends and don't be shy this social is a great way to break the ice and start you off in the AFO community and for the rest of us to catch up with mates at the lake and around the camp fire.

Quite extensive grounds, limited facilities (2 amenities blocks, hot showers in the one in the main area, but only two pedestals between them for the blokes). Right below the dam wall, easy access to creek from eastern end (for kids swimming etc). Dont know about cost.

Reply from Lynn re ramp access.

Good morning Ray

The works at Borumba will possibly commence some weeks after Easter and the long weekend in May and are expected to take approx. 4 weeks to complete.

Whilst every effort will be made to maintain access via the temporary boat ramp there will be periods of time when, due to the use of heavy machinery, the site will need to be closed.

We will update the website once the works commence.

Regards

Lyn

Lyn Brough Recreation Support Officer

1 hour ago, Cmaltby said:

If this is going to impact the weekend any chance of moving it elsewhere

We could but the dates are still along way off if we have a lot of rain the original ramp will  be used and the construction of the lower ramp will stop as it will be under water we should play it by earjust now and see how much rain this cyclonr will give us down south here

1 hour ago, aussie123 said:

How goods that.

All this water coming in should get the fish moving soon and hopefully the redclaw as well

I am looking forward to getting plenty of big redclaw crayfish I will bring plenty of coconut cream and some fresh garlic to marinate them in before cooking them.

11 hours ago, Luvit said:

I notice the 14th is Mother's Day, it may count me out. 

So you have also noticed that wives consider that husbands should be doing something for them even though they are not YOUR mother...... :)

Take her out for dinner with the kids Sunday night, go fishing rest of the weekend :)

1 hour ago, Binder said:

So you have also noticed that wives consider that husbands should be doing something for them even though they are not YOUR mother...... :)

Take her out for dinner with the kids Sunday night, go fishing rest of the weekend :)

Yes, it always a family day and no cooking for guest of honour. I can fish any other day she lets me. Ha,ha

Checked out the camp site over the weekend was a top spot with plenty of area for our social we should be able to utilise a large bbq shelter for ourselves as most campers did this. We will be able to have our saturday night cook up with fire pits provided at each camp site so we can use our camp ovens and rotiseries. I will also bring a large gas all plate bbq for all of us to use and i have plenty of lights for under the shelter. 

Yabba creek is right next to the camp grounds with plenty of skinny water to fish in there is many larger long pools as you get further down stream which hold bass,yellas and saratoga for anyone with kayaks. The dam itself is easy to get around not being very big you can still kayak in there easy enough and the ramps are now back to being used safely with plenty of wter in the dam.

If anyone has questons about anything to do with the social don't be afraid to ask i hope this is a cracker weekend so come along and meet the AFO crew

Archived