Boat Rollover On South Passge Bar

Old Scaley

One of the folks on the boat said they wore one big wave which turned them, then the second big wave rolled them.

I for one will be learning from this and will be keeping my life jackets within easy reach and not stowed in the cabin while crossing any bars.

was just having a chat to a mate at work about this and we had similar thoughts about lifejackets. Probably just worth wearing when you're crossing anyway. And if you have the new slim, self inflating ones, then its' almost no excuse not to since they are so easy to put on and not bulky or annoying.

Good to hear all on board made it out alive.

I know of a guy who regularly crosses the bar. He can't swim and won't wear a life jacket because he  reckons he would rather drown than be floating around like a shark entree.  He did actually roll his boat on the bar but managed to stay on top of his upturned cat until it got pushed into shore at Amity. Not sure if he wears a jacket these days.

Glad they're all OK and good to see it's provoked thought amongst those of us who head offshore. I saw/was reading a year or so ago about a 'safety bag' with lifejackets (plus I guess flares and EPIRB) and having it strapped/hanging over the back of the drivers chair so that in an emergency it can be easily grabbed and carried into the water. Obviously actually wearing the lifejacket when crossing the bar would be safer, but still better than having them stowed in the cabin of the boat.

Archived