Test Drive Quompie, The New Rig

Drop Bear

We decided to have a bit of a run out of the BNE river to have a play and perhaps catch a fish or 2

The boat is easy to launch and the trailer is great. Very easy to tow and so much easier to back than the shorter boat especially when the boat is off as you can see the wheel arches in the rear view.

With 2 fat bastards in the back it really makes the nose stand up before getting on the plane. No problems if one is up the front and it really only takes about 3 seconds if we are being lazy and there is nothing around and just let her rip while sitting in the back.

There was a little left over chop and it did bounce around a little but not surprisingly it is soooo much more comfortable than the 12 footer. 

I had flushed the motor from a little trip we did around Green the day before and had not put the flush bung back in. It has something that is new to me, a place where you attach a hose to flush it. No need to run it when you flush it either. I didn't know it needed to be replaced, so the water poured out of this inlet but the tell tail was pushing hard when it wasn't on idle and I knew it has a over heat thing so we decided to go for a run anyhow.

The back of the boat is quite low. I am used to just dumping off the power in my old boat but when I do this the full stern wave comes pouring in over the cut out bit at the back. It was a lot of water but soon we worked out it is easy enough to slow down to a stop instead of just shutting it down. This fixed it and I got to test out the bilge pump that is ok. Not super fast and I might upgrade and have 2 in there especially if I am going to cross the bar in her.

I probably ran it a bit fast at times but varied the throttle all the time from half to 80% ( a few squirts to max.. weeeee! )

We bashed a few beacons with no luck but with the flush bung missing I didn't want to push out too far.

We fished the wall near the mouth. I got busted off 2 times in a row with first 2 casts to big fish and eventually caught a small cod. Rob caught a nice little flattie and a undersized sole and dropped a better flattie at the boat. I had a big fish on after this. Not sure if it was Jack or Cod. I dont think it was jew as it didnt strip lots of line but on heavy gear it thumped hard taking a little drag. It threw the hooks and when I got the lure back in it had a broken treble. Time to upgrade them again. 

We went over to green to have a look but nothing happening so headed back. I found a little creek that I had spied on Google earth a while ago and it looks super promising for some Christmas muddies. 

Verdict;

It is such a great upgrade for me. It is so luxuriously large and fast. Being tiller steer there is so much room. I had a large esky and lots of other gear and it was never in the way. When I get to set it up properly and utalise the front hatch it will work really well. 

Things to do

I worked out the position I wan the sounder/plotter so need to put this in. I need to buy a bracket for this so I can move it around. Anyone know the best ones? Do you carry one @aussie123

The live bait tank fits in nicely behind rear passenger seat so I just need to put this in

I'm keen to have 4 rods stored under the gunwales but not sure how to do this... Any one have nice horizontal rod holders? @aussie123

I want to put in 4 more stand up rod holders.

It has a nice anchor well but I want to put a tube or something on the front to store the reef anchor or sand anchor when not in use. has anyone done this? Photos? Ideas?

i need to fit the electric.

I need to buy a new flush bung.

I probably want some new bungs and they are the awesome big ones and I have never had them before so dont have spares

Need to put tool holders just like the ones on @rayke1938's boat

I need a new net and Gaff. Anyone have favourite types? I find the shade cloth ones seem to catch hooks and be a bit dodgy.

I want to put a little pocket at the back of the boat for a little container to pop the bungs in after fishing. 

Thats it for now.

Hey mate, great to hear you are enjoying the new boat.  Exciting times!!  Whats the run in process for the yammy?  I know with my merc it was painful as you just want to fly around.   Do you think some water might come in over the transom cutout when outside in a bit of swell.  Ive got a pod and full transom and often get water coming up on the pod when its a bit ugly of there.  They make small splash wells for tiller steers if this becomes an issue.

23 minutes ago, Doyley said:

Whats the run in process for the yammy?

Trying to remember... I did read it promice haha.

half throttle first 2 hours then 3/4 next 8. keep varying the speed. Ok to give it a blat to get on plane only... I may have forgotten to adhere to this last bit perfectly... :)

24 minutes ago, Doyley said:

Do you think some water might come in over the transom cutout when outside in a bit of swell.

Yes I think it will in specific conditions like when trolling on a following sea or perhaps drifting if stern on. I am going to put in a second bilge pump. I am not too worried as it is very visual and I'm sure I will see it when it happens and manage it. I don't think it will at anchor or if stern is out of the wind. 

33 minutes ago, Angry51 said:

DB, What brand motor is that?Looks like  a MotorGuide.

Can you get a quick release plate for it.

Makes it easy to remove motor  for storage or to do work on,

saves unbolting it.

Cheers 

Gary

Yes it is a MotorGuide. A friend also recommended a quick release... I will get one today. thanks :)

3 hours ago, Tybo said:

Very keen to see this, and go for a run. Will probably call you next week some time Robbie, after Christmas, and organise a run!

Sounds great. I am pretty free so let me know a time and we will go get some fish :) You are always welcome on my boat... I've been wanting to say that for a while now haha 

29 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Looking good Rob. With your sounder position - are you planning on putting some sort of splash guard to protect it from spray/water?

@kmcrosby78 I have had my Raymarine sounder in a similar position for a few years now and it is still fine.  It has a quick release mount and if I am having a really wet ride I usually drop the unit back under the gunwhale. I always sponge it down after a trip and give the connections a quick spray with innox.  I am more interested in Robbie’s transducer placement and wondering if it is deep enough to get a good reading when he is moving?  Let us know how it goes @Drop Bear.  

6 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I am more interested in Robbie’s transducer placement and wondering if it is deep enough to get a good reading when he is moving?  Let us know how it goes @Drop Bear

Yes thanks. I have not siliconed it in yet and there is about 10mm of play. I am going to put some crab pots in on the high tide today so will have a look. Thanks

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Yes thanks. I have not siliconed it in yet and there is about 10mm of play. I am going to put some crab pots in on the high tide today so will have a look. Thanks

Maybe think about an adjustable bracket?  They are easy to fit, and you can get the transducer up out of the way if you are pulling up on the beach or a sandbar. 

12 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Maybe think about an adjustable bracket?  They are easy to fit, and you can get the transducer up out of the way if you are pulling up on the beach or a sandbar. 

Ok thanks. I had one in the old tinny but it was flimsy and I didn't thing it would keep the transducer steady enough. Do you know a good brand/type?

They sell them at BCF Rob and should work OK, but take a look as that's a fair sized transducer set up.

With regards to the sounder placement, I suspect if you're going to use it out in the open bay, plus occasionally offshore, you may want something to deflect the spray. Could simply be some angle aluminium screwed to the gunwales and then a flat sheet coming up vertically.

I missed this post while in Melbourne.

On the electric motor mount personally I would definatley go the quick release. When staying overnight in caravan parks etc you can lock the motor away. The heads of the electrics bounce around a lot in travel and choppy seas. I made up a small leg for it from canopy fittings to secure it while travelling with a elastic tarp loop to secure it. It could be folded down and stood up when need it. A bit hard to see in the photo but it is off and folded down near the front rail.

P4200194.thumb.JPG.ef8a54169e117957072c7ead8e1d0706.JPG

As you know I did a lot of testing with my Transducer and bought one of the BCF adjustable brackets. It was not the best and the screw striped in the plastic bit for height adjustment with not much finger pressure. Good principle and a product of better quality would be fine. The Lss is a long transducer and I would get it right on the mounting plate rather than using the adjustable bracket. If you don't want heaps of holes in the bracket mount a Teflon block to it so you can drill as many holes as you want.

13 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Ok thanks. I had one in the old tinny but it was flimsy and I didn't thing it would keep the transducer steady enough. Do you know a good brand/type?

I got mine at Whitworths. I wouldn’t say it is over-engineered but it has done the job. They are not expensive so even if you only used it until you can get the placement of the transducer right it might be a good investment.

Talk to Aussie 123 about any boating hardware,top bloke,good advice and well priced. He owns reeltackle.

https://reeltackle.com.au/

Also if you missed out on Anguses nordic rod sale Lance has a few still in stock at reduced prices in his bargain bin. Much better site than the other 2 big players and you are supporting AFO long time member.

Cheers

Ray

5 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Hahaha the dude that bought my tinny is selling it. I told him is was used in the bcf ads and he has put this ad up. too funny. Strangely he says low hours on the motor... 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/springwood/motorboats-powerboats/famous-bcf-add-allycraft-3-75-tinny-boat-15-hp-yamaha/1166579199

Well if he didn't use, then it would be low hours :lol:

Archived